We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July in Thasos - Will we need a car?

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
July in Thasos - Will we need a car?

Hello,

My bf and I are looking at travelling to Thasos for 1 week in the beginning of July.

We love traditional Greek places and like to do some travelling to different beaches and getting involved in excursions. I don't know very much about Thasos but some people have recommended hiring a car, is this really necessary? We usually like to leave driving behind on a holiday, and would rather take public transport, but in this area is that possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

6 replies to this topic
Sidmouth Devon
Destination Expert
for Thasos
Level Contributor
790 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July in Thasos - Will we need a car?

Where are you staying?

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July in Thasos - Will we need a car?

My apologies I did not make that very clear - we have not yet booked, still planning.

We like the look of Pegasus Hotel in Limenas and also Socrates Plaza Hotel in Skala Prinou.

But we are definitely open to suggestions still at this stage too in terms of area!

Sidmouth Devon
Destination Expert
for Thasos
Level Contributor
790 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July in Thasos - Will we need a car?

I am very biased always stay in Thassos Town (Limenas) more to do in the evening and the bus service is very good if you want to go to other places on the island.

Having said that I like to have transport whilst on holiday to please myself and spend most days visiting somewhere else on the island, Pegasus Hotel is very central its in the older part of town which is my favourite area and you have very good tavernas within a few minutes stroll.

The better beaches for me are down in the Limenaria area but we all like different things.

Take a look at this site it gives some great views of many of the places on the island the square that is on the page as you open it is a 2 minute walk from the Pegasus hotel

thassos-view.com/multimedia/360-panorama/lim…

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July in Thasos - Will we need a car?

My friend has been 10 times and says the mediterranean apartments in Skala Rahoni are fab

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July in Thasos - Will we need a car?

Thank you!! Very helpful!

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
4 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July in Thasos - Will we need a car?

The Socrates is great so no problems there. Lots of Taverna's in Skala Prinou just two minutes stroll down the beach. I would recommend hiring a car as the interior of the island is really interesting and lots of beautiful cove and beach to discover. Protos car hire in the village do really good rates so try them. Have a great time

Reply to: July in Thasos - Will we need a car?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Skala Prinou
Recent Conversations