We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AVIS +Airmiles Car Hire

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
AVIS +Airmiles Car Hire

A word to the wise.

Just returned from Italy where we booked a car with Air Miles expecting all the advantages as advertised on the website and outlined below.

"And saving money on Avis car hire isn't the only benefit:

All-inclusive car hire rates – includes Collision Damage Waiver, Theft Protection, Unlimited Mileage and local taxes and surcharges."

No such thing. Because we decided to be extra cautious and take a higher level of insurance we were slapped with all these extra local taxes and surcharges. Complained to AirMiles who just weren't interested, because we had apparently varied our contract in Italy by agreeing to extra insurance.

Just be aware that not everything in the AirMiles garden is rosy.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AVIS +Airmiles Car Hire

Hi, you have post this in the forum of a small village in the Alentejo (Portugal),the name of the village is Avis, but has nothing to do with the rental company.

I'm sure there's another forum about rented cars.

New York City, New...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AVIS +Airmiles Car Hire

I absolutely agree that one should STAY AWAY FROM AVIS car rental. Last July I had a very sad experience in renting from Avis in Tenerife, Spain. Although my pre-paid rental included all taxes and surcharges, Avis added a total of $720 in "optional insurance, gas service and additional taxes and products" that were never mentioned at the time of rental and were not specified in my confirmation. I tried to dispute the charges, but to no avail. They insisted that since I had signed the contract I had to pay all the charges listed. So, beware.

It looks like Avis does it regularly and not just in Europe but everywhere! Just read Avis Forum on the Web.

3. Re: AVIS +Airmiles Car Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to copyright infringement. By law, we must remove any messages that include content protected by copyright which has been reproduced without direct permission from the author/publisher -- this includes but is not limited to items copied and pasted from online news agencies, magazines and commercial/personal websites, trademarks, passwords, confidential information, or intellectual property of any other person.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 18:26
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AVIS +Airmiles Car Hire

I have to say that this is 'humourous'. Is there a Portuguese town called Hertz by any chance?

Get answers to your questions about Avis
Recent Conversations