We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

palmgrove lodge

gauteng, south...
2 posts
Save Topic
palmgrove lodge

Has anyone posted a review on this lodge!

We have made a booking for June 2013 and is a bit conserned as we have never been in that region and would like to see a few reviews of people who have been there!

Thank you

Shyleen

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
972 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: palmgrove lodge

The correct term for Palm Grove is "rustic". Very very rustic. It is much more for mass numbers, if you are going with a big family or a bus group for example.

Malmesbury, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: palmgrove lodge

Am about to book there myself - I dont mind rustic but what about busloads of backpackers - not so into that! We are going 3 families with primary school age kids. Not also that into loud music and party animals everywhere. Is it at all like that?

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
972 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: palmgrove lodge

Hi, I don;t want to give the wrong impression, it's great for families if you're OK with rustic. Not sure that backpacker groups ever go there.

Malmesbury, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: palmgrove lodge

Thanks - appreciate your honesty!

cheers

Johannesburg, South...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: palmgrove lodge

I hope you found your stay better than we did. We have just returned from this place and experienced the full extend of a holiday culture which equates to a Hollywood representation of a College "Frat Party" day in and day out. If you expect a quiet serene holiday this is NOT the place for you. Loud repetitive music blasts through the palm trees till all hours of the morning, quad bikes and 4x4 vehicles zoom and hoot up and down all hours, people yell and scream and air their domestic disputes as they please, the food is over rated and over priced, the pool is permanently fitted with a volleyball net so a quiet dip is out of the question… The rooms although "rustic" are not up to standard - they are said to be "sprayed for mosquitos" but after trying to fend off a daily swarm with various insect repellants for the first 3 days, I doubt that they have even fumigated the place in a year. Our mosquito net had holes in it. Our "fully functional" gas stove had no gas bottle. Not all the lightbulbs worked. We had no hot water (a shower after 15 hours drive would have been welcome) and we had no fan in the room, but according to them each room was "checked" before arrival…?

On arrival there was no one at reception. In fact there was NEVER anyone at "reception" - in fact on our last day (we left a day early) there were people living in "reception". So don't expect a personalized welcome of any kind as you would have to walk from pillar to post searching for the right person to help you which in all eventuality you'd have to phone and stand around like a fool and hope they call you back. If you complain about anything it is no one's fault as you "should have known"…for a first time visitor to both the establishment and the country I find this insulting as I went through all the rules and regulations and info before hand and truly believed that this was the place for us. It was grossly oversold.

The Barra area is mostly overpriced and overrated. Unless you enjoy a jetski/quad bike/4x4/high school party holiday, don't waste your money or your time. Go and stay in Tofo instead where we spent the bulk of our time. Its cheaper and the food is great and the atmosphere is SO much better, diverse and welcoming.

Regards

Maureen

Gauteng

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
972 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: palmgrove lodge

Can't speak for Palm Grove, but in general Barra is the South Africa side, Tofo is the Mozambique side of the peninsula. Lots more Tipo Tinto and Strawberry soft drink being guzzled on the Barra side.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: palmgrove lodge

Hi Maureen,

Barra beach during holidays is like this, not just this lodge but the whole beach. The odd R&R obsession takes over this beach and it is a party beach like Cancun in Mexico, or Ibiza. Once the masses of drunken youth are gone it returns to being a delightful beach

8. Re: palmgrove lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2016, 20:15
Get answers to your questions about Tofo
Recent Conversations