We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family ski holiday

Which South Lake Tahoe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
262 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
family ski holiday

Can't decide where to go ski-ing this early January. We will be 2 adults and 4 teenage children. Was looking at Heavenly but want to make sure I have made the right choice. We have 2 advanced skiers, 2 med-advanced snowboarders who like terrain parks and two beginnner to blue run snowboarders. We like to stay near the slopes (walking distance). We don't really like long lines but realise January is peak time (unfortunatley don't have a choice with school). Not sure I like the idea of a long Gondola ride at the start and end of the day! Was looking at 2 bed villa at Marriott with kitchen at Heavenly - any other suggestions would be great.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
1,033 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family ski holiday

Heavenly is a great choice and they have snowmaking capability in case there is not enough natural snow. The gondola ride doesn't really seem that long and the view is beautiful. Marriott is probably the best location for skiing. We're dividing our trip this winter between Marriott at Heavenly and a condo at Northstar, both really great skiing, but different atmospheres. Northstar also has snowmaking which allows for pretty darn good skiing even if mother nature doesn't cooperate.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family ski holiday

Northstar will be crazy crowded during the Christmas break. Which I think it's a great resort it has just gotten so popular that the lines are really long.

I like both the Marriott properties in SLT (Timber Lodge and Grand Residence). I think you've made a good choice for your family. You will love the views and there is more to do in SLT than ski/board.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,851 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family ski holiday

SLT is a good place to base your family, though will be busy over the holidays. Plenty to do at the Marriott.

Another option is to take a dav to drive 25 minutes up to Diamond Peak in Incline Village. Our family like to ski/snowboard there and Northstar. It's a smaller area, with beautiful views of the lake. Check out the videos.

http://www.diamondpeak.com/

Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family ski holiday

I gave lived within an hour or less of Tahoe my whole life, and skied with my family at every resort there over the years. You will find plenty to do for your family staying at the Marriott. (We are owners there.) Heavenly is convenient but very touristy and usually crowded. Heavenly is very large resort spread out over a vast space so it may take some serious coordination to keep track of your family as they will be skiing different terrains. I would recommend a day at Sierra at Tahoe. This is a family resort with terrain to match all your skiers, with a couple centrally located lodges. It is about 35 minutes from SLT. I think there even may be a bus from the Marriott area to the mountain.

While I love Northstar, and spent many family ski days there, be advised that it is located a LONG way from SLT. Look at a map. It is an hour drive minimum even on a sunny day in October. One final thing to consider, there is often little or no snow in December. Check into other things to do should the weather not cooperate.

Northstar is great, but it is a long distance from

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
262 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: family ski holiday

Not really into driving to a different resort each day. We actually don't like using the car once we arrive at our destination. But thanks for the suggestions.

Edited: 28 August 2012, 05:25
6. Re: family ski holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2013, 10:16