We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from South Lake Tahoe to Las vegas

New Delhi, India
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from South Lake Tahoe to Las vegas

Hi All,

I am planning my first long road trip along with my family which includes my wife and parents who are visiting from India. We would be starting from Fremont to Lake Tahoe. Stay there for a night and then drive to Vegas. Its going to be a long drive so I just wanted to know the things that I need to take care of.

The route we are planning to take is through Veteran Memorials hwy as shown in google. What time would be appropriate for us to start from Tahoe in the morning. I prefer driving during the day.

Also, how would the weather be in Tahoe at this time? Do we need to carry proper winter clothing?

Any other tips for a first timer would be really appreciated. Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from South Lake Tahoe to Las vegas

When is this drive?

New Delhi, India
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from South Lake Tahoe to Las vegas

We are starting on 21st September.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from South Lake Tahoe to Las vegas

For those unfamiliar Vetran's Memorial Highway in this instance is 95.

The drive from South LaAe Tahoe to Las Vegas is 8 hours with no stops. Sunset in that region appears to be at 6:38 PM. Twilight will linger a bit but let's just say you want to be in Vegas by 6:00 PM and that you will stop a couple of times along the way. I would not leave any later than 8:00 AM from South Lake Tahoe. This will give you 10 hours of daylight to accomplish this drive.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from South Lake Tahoe to Las vegas

8 hours of driving sounds about right. Another option for a drive would be to go south on Hwy 395 cross over through Death Valley and then to Las Vegas. This would be longer drive, but a much more scenic drive. I am guessing this would add about 2 hours for such a trip.

The Hwy 95 route is the fastest, but not much on scenery.

As a side note, I drove home from Lake Tahoe yesterday through Hope Valley and noticed the first hint of fall colors on the aspen trees. A drive down Hwy 395 might yield some early fall colors.

No need for winter clothing. The weather should still be nice.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,855 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from South Lake Tahoe to Las vegas

Here is some info about what you might see if you chose to travel on Hwy 395 instead of Hwy 95. (You are not planning to drive into Yosemite NP, but the parts about Lee Vining to Las Vegas are relevant to you.)

Las Vegas to Yosemite: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361

6. Re: Drive from South Lake Tahoe to Las vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about South Lake Tahoe