We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attending a wedding late oct, dress casual or formal

north of boston
5 posts
Save Topic
Attending a wedding late oct, dress casual or formal

Help!!! Attending a 3:00 pm wedding late oct, 2013 not sure how to dress for this. I am from Boston so I would dress formal. Here

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,132 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attending a wedding late oct, dress casual or formal

Why don't you ask the wedding party as to what they suggest ? You dont want to be out of place and they are the best people to tell you.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Attending a wedding late oct, dress casual or formal

Have you already got the invitation for the wedding? That would seem very early for an October wedding to have sent invitations already. The tradition here is that the dress code is on the invitation and that the invitation arrives early enough so you can plan an outfit [6-8 weks, but that could be so you can organise a present to out-do everyone else ;-) ].

If you're close to the bridal couple (and I'm guessing you must be if you're invited to the wedding) or their families, maybe ask what the dress code will be. If they have out-of-towners coming then this would not be an unexpected question.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,799 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attending a wedding late oct, dress casual or formal

Unless they specify on the invite, for men suit and tie, and for women dress or dressy slacks. Oct. at the Lake can be cold.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attending a wedding late oct, dress casual or formal

Lake Tahoe is a pretty casual place so a full length dress would be out of place but not every dress would be out of place. I think formal would be over done in Tahoe.

Maybe do Google Images with Lake Tahoe Wedding or Wedding in Lake Tahoe in the search to see what people are wearing. There are lots of shots of the guests.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 19:51
north of boston
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Attending a wedding late oct, dress casual or formal

Thank you. My son lives there and the groom to be is a roommate of his. I will check with them

north of boston
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Attending a wedding late oct, dress casual or formal

Thank you. My son lives there and the groom to be is a roommate of his. I will check with them Thank-you to all of your responses. Very helpful for this OCD lady who plans 9 months in advance.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attending a wedding late oct, dress casual or formal

Will it be outside? As you might see from Google Images, men often wear a coat & tie but not necessarily a suit. Women wear dresses but not usually overly fancy. It will probably depend upon the tone & location of the wedding.

Hope you come early and enjoy the usually fabulous fall season in Tahoe.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attending a wedding late oct, dress casual or formal

Yes, do tell us where it is, and if it's outdoors, you're going to bring a coat perhaps. If in a large hotel, a cocktail dress is probably appropriate.

Late October is pretty "iffy" for an outdoor wedding at that altitude.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attending a wedding late oct, dress casual or formal

I have been to several weddings at Lake Tahoe, and generally they have been more casual than other places. Any outdoor wedding at that time of the year will probably have heaters available. Have a great time.

north of boston
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Attending a wedding late oct, dress casual or formal

Thanks everyone. The ceremony and reception is to be held near Camp Richardson,at vallahia resort, a beautiful stone hall. Weather permitting, the ceremony will be lake front.

Get answers to your questions about South Lake Tahoe