We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help choosing a ski location

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
537 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Help choosing a ski location

I see some great advice on this forum, so I'll give you my details, and I hope you can help.

I'm looking to ski for a week in late March. We will be 4 single women around age 40.

Advanced skiers (used to skiing black diamonds/bowls in the Canadian Rockies, Whistler and Europe, although I prefer long blue cruisers).

We are looking for a condo that is convenient to the ski hill, but also to some nightlife/apres ski.

We will be flying into Reno and renting a car, so don't mind driving to the hills, but will want to have some cocktails in the evenings, so want to have easy access to town without worrying about drinking and driving.

What would be the best location to start our search?

Mentioned in this post
Canadian Rockies
Canadian Rockies
Alberta, Canada
San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help choosing a ski location

South Lake Tahoe, on the California/Nevada stateline. Heavenly Valley Ski Resort for starters is right there, and you can drive to other resorts if you get tired of Heavenly. Great drinking, eating, gambling, and much of it walkable if you choose the right hotel or condo area.

Edited: 17 November 2013, 03:25
Mentioned in this post
Nevada
Nevada
United States
2. Re: Help choosing a ski location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 November 2013, 03:35
Edited: 17 November 2013, 03:35
Level Contributor
37,667 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help choosing a ski location

South Lake Tahoe! :)

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help choosing a ski location

Definitely South Lake Tahoe. Your skills level is perfect for Heavenly. (I would describe myself exactly like you!) If you get bored of Heavenly, drive out to Kirkwood or Sierra. If the conditions are good, drive to Homewood for AMAZING lake views. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Homewood
Homewood
Lake Tahoe (California), CA
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help choosing a ski location

You would want to look at areas closest to the Heavenly Village area -start with the Marriott Timber Logde and Grand Residence.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
680 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help choosing a ski location

I agree- use Heavenly as your base either one of the resorts or a vrbo or something. You can mix up your ski days if you bore of Heavenly and head out to Kirkwood one day or Sierra. There are not any other spots on the South shore that have night life atmosphere besides the base of Heavenly especially if you want to walk which is good if you are driving.

Have fun and hope for snow----

7. Re: Help choosing a ski location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about South Lake Tahoe