We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Drives

Glen Cove, New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Scenic Drives

Is there one drive that you would suggest over another? I keep reading about Signal Mountain Summit Rd. and the 42 mile scenic loop drive.. I will be in Jackson Hole in September..

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Drives

Hi,

You can accomplish both of these -

The Signal Mountain Summitt Road is something you can take an hour or less to accomplish. The road is only 5 miles long, and you might want to stop off a 1-3 viewpoints on top.

The loop road referenced I believe takes you in and out either the northern (Moran) or Southern entrance (Moose). I recommend the N to S direction to better views. This will be a nice trip, plenty to see - allow all day.

I'd also make sure that you do a loop around Kelly, WY where that time of year, you should be able to see plenty of buffalo, some moose, pronghorn and perhaps some flocks of migratory bluebirds or even wolves. The entrance is at the Gros Vent Junction, just south of the airport going east. It loops around and exits just north of the airport. Its a nice diversion befor you leave the airport or immediately after you arrive. If you are driving out here, its only a few miles north out of town.

Hope that helps. Where we live, it is all scenic - you could drive all day and see different sights ...Teton Pass, Snake River Canyon, Teton Valley etc. But I provided specifcs near where you mentioned.

Edited: 02 May 2011, 22:30
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,142 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Drives

I assume the loop drive you mentioned is a loop consisting of the Teton Park Rd, going from Moose to Jackson Lake Junction, and the part of route 89 that connects Jackson Lake Junction back to Moose. Yes, it's a beautiful drive and certainly something you should do - ideally, on a clear day.

The road to the top of Signal Mt goes mostly through forest as it climbs to the mountain top. The drive itself is nothing special, but the 2 overlooks at the top of Signal Mt afford tremendous view of the valley. You'll come to this road as you drive the Teton Park Rd; it is a short distance south of Signal Mt Lodge.

Glen Cove, New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Drives

Thanks for the quick reply! I will be writing down all the info you sent me! Can't wait to visit, it's my first time to Wyoming..

4. Re: Scenic Drives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 21:17