We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from SAlt Lake City to Jackson Hole Spet. 10th.

Northborough...
5 posts
Save Topic
Driving from SAlt Lake City to Jackson Hole Spet. 10th.

What would be the best route to take int Jackson Hole from Salt Lake City. we are flying from Boston to SLC and will drive to Yellowstone staying the first night in Jackson. Since we are not familiar with the area any suggestions would be helpful.We do know the drive will be 5 hours but would like to see some scenery on the way. Any suggestions? Some of us can be squeamish with high elevated roads...so don't want to scare the folks to soon in the drive... thanks..

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,714 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from SAlt Lake City to Jackson Hole Spet. 10th.

Here's my suggestion. Take I-80 east to Evanston, then 89 up through Star Valley into Alpine and on into Jackson. From SLC it's about 5 1/2 hours into Jackson without stops.

Northborough...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from SAlt Lake City to Jackson Hole Spet. 10th.

Thank you.. Wil it be a scenic drive once we enter Star Valley...

Also we are staying at the Lodge in Jackson Hole.. Which I guess was formerly a Best Westerm.

Some in our group want to take a float trip on the Snake river the next day before continuing the drive timo Yellowstone.. Any suggestions?

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,714 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from SAlt Lake City to Jackson Hole Spet. 10th.

The drive starts getting scenic west of Evanston and stays scenic all the way to Jackson.

The most scenic float trips are through a 10-mile stretch of the Snake River lying inside GTNP, which provides good views of the Tetons as you float by. Other float trips are outside the park, starting near the town of Wilson. Check with them for times of day you want to take the trip and compare prices. If your goal is to see wildlife, dawn and sunset are the best times, especially for elk and mule deer.

Here are some outfitters that do float trips inside the park:

Barker-Ewing Scenic Tours: www.barkerewing.com

To avoid confusion, note that Barker and Ewing split their company in the mid 1980s. Now one company - 800-365-1800 - does the in-park float trips (I think that's the part that Barker took), and the other company - (800) 448-4202 - does out-of-park float trips with a meal and also offers whitewater trips (I think that's the part that Ewing took). The two are on good terms and refer bookings back and forth.

Flagg Ranch Resort: www.flaggranch.com

Grand Teton Lodge Company: www.gtlc.com

Heart 6 Float Trips: www.heartsix.com

Signal Mountain Lodge: www.signalmtnlodge.com

Snake River Angler: www.snakeriverangler.com

Solitude Float Trips (offers both in-park and south-of-park trips): www.solitudefloattrips.com

Triangle X / National Park Float Trips: www.trianglex.com

Lost Creek Ranch: http://lostcreekadventure.com

Northborough...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from SAlt Lake City to Jackson Hole Spet. 10th.

Thank you for all the information. We are very excited about our trip.

It is beautiful country!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,429 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from SAlt Lake City to Jackson Hole Spet. 10th.

Good advice from TetonBill. We love the drive up through the Star Valley. Depending on your time of arrival, consider a lunch stop here in Park City with plenty of spots out by I-80. Evanston and Afton are also good en route stops.

Have fun.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,714 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from SAlt Lake City to Jackson Hole Spet. 10th.

If you're coming back the same way, I wanted to mention that a good alternative route is through Daniel Junction and Kemmerer, Wyoming (home of the first J.C. Penney store, which is still operating there). This route, which you could of course take in either direction, adds 20 miles but has a great deal of open Wyoming scenery.

Campton, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from SAlt Lake City to Jackson Hole Spet. 10th.

Hi- I did this route two years ago- same date too. Went straight up 89 into Idaho and then through Driggs ID and over the Teton Pass into Jackson. The view of the Tetons as you make your way east into Driggs is fabulous and the roads are good. The drive from SLC was maybe 4 hours- although it was my first time in the Tetons and I think we stopped a lot to take pictures. To drive from Driggs to Jackson over the Teton Pass takes about 45 minutes and it is incredibly beautiful. I would also recommend the Super 8 hotel in Driggs if you dont want to spend the $$$ for Jackson accomodations. A nice hotel, clean and right on the main road. Definitely a big difference in price. Treat yourself to coffee, quiche and sweets a Pendl's bakery in Driggs before you head over the pass- you wont be disappointed.

Northborough...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from SAlt Lake City to Jackson Hole Spet. 10th.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

A few of us are cincerned about driving over the Pass but the drive looks spectacular...

Northborough...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from SAlt Lake City to Jackson Hole Spet. 10th.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

10. Re: Driving from SAlt Lake City to Jackson Hole Spet. 10th.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Jackson Hole