We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging for GTNP and Yellowstone visit

Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Lodging for GTNP and Yellowstone visit

I need some advice on where to stay for a week in order to visit GTNP and Yellowstone.

This summer we will do a driving tour of the Northwest. We will leave our home in NY and drive to Cody, WY. We will stay there for a couple days, mainly to drive the Beartooth Hwy and probably a trip to the Park. From there we go to Jackson to meet our daughter's family, who are flying in, for a week stay.

We want to visit Yellowstone and Jackson, but we really would like to stay in the same housekeeping lodging for the entire stay. I realize its a drive from Jackson to Yellowstone, but a hour or so drive isn't a problem. I have been looking at condos in the Aspen/Teton Village area. But would also be open to something a little more rustic. We will arrive in Jackson area on July 13th and leave on the 19th.

Also any recommendations on activities in the area. Their family includes 2 teens so, they are up for anything. My husband and I are not able to do hikes or white water, but of course, we can always go on separate adventures for the day.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,014 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging for GTNP and Yellowstone visit

It is further than an hour's drive from Jackson up in to Yellowstone. It is about 3 hours from Jackson to Old Faithful. It is also too far to visit Yellowstone effectively from Cody as it is a 2 hour drive from Cody to the Fishing Bridge area.

Here is a link to the map of Yellowstone. We recommend you double the miles to get the approximate time it takes to travel that distance, ie 14 miles = 28 minutes. That does not count time for stops for scenery, wildlife jams or food.

nps.gov/common/…

If you are planning a couple of days in Cody you may want to consider staying one night there and at least 2 days in the same place in Yellowstone. We also recommend a minimum of 3 full days or 4 nights to see just the highlights of Yellowstone without hiking or getting off the road.

Pam

(PS Glad you found your way here!)

Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging for GTNP and Yellowstone visit

Thank you Pam...I like your suggestion for the two of us. If we couldn't get lodging in the Park, would you suggest West Yellowstone or Gardiner..or some where else?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,014 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging for GTNP and Yellowstone visit

The first choice would be something in the park, perhaps at Old Faithful or Lake areas. If you decide to stay out of the park I prefer West Yellowstone over Gardiner as there are more choices for lodging and restaurants. Others prefer Gardiner but it is just not as comfortable for me.

Take a look at the Xanterra website http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/ for ideas about what is available within the park. We usually don't recommend Grant Village as it is too far south. For your purposes I would probably rule out Mammoth for you as well, just because with your short time frame you probably want something more central.

Pam

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,331 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging for GTNP and Yellowstone visit

Great ideas from Pam. I too agree about staying in West Yellowstone if you cannot find anything in the park. My favorite place is Old Faithful. To me it really represents Yellowstone. They have a nice buffet at breakfast and dinner and the food is very good imo.

You might like a scenic float trip on the Snake River while your daughter and her family could do a whitewater trip. We like Barker Ewing for both. They can be done while you are staying in Jackson Hole.

Tampa
Level Contributor
113 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging for GTNP and Yellowstone visit

We've stayed in Teton Village three times and, on each visit, we've made day trips into Yellowstone, which included time for hiking. It's a fairly long drive, but so interesting and beautiful that it's not too bad. There are lots of rental condos in Teton Village, so it's a good place for families.

6. Re: Lodging for GTNP and Yellowstone visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 05:16