We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to YNP , GTNP for a fisherman and his girlfriend

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First trip to YNP , GTNP for a fisherman and his girlfriend

My first forum post ever!

Anyways I'm planning a trip sept 22-29 for my boyfriends 30th birthday. Ive been reading tons of forums (mainly tetonbill's suggestions) but haven't found an itinerary from SLC to Jackson around to Henrys lake Through yellowstone and specifically for fisherman. We're flying to SLC so we can take in the state views on our traveling days and plan to be in the yellowstone vicinity for 6 nights and I'm trying to figure out how to divide our time. We Are planning this last minute so not really any options IN the Yellowstone unless we want to camp. My boyfriend loves to fly fish so we will be wanting accommodations in the best fly fishing Areas and I would love to do short rafting and horseback riding trips. Here is my rough idea on our trip but I really need some experienced feedback. Keep in mind we are young outdoorsy and on a budget, trying to spend 75-150 on accommodations and really want to get the feel of the 'old west' , nothing fancy.

Slc to jackson

9/22-24 stay in the jackson vicinity for two nights to explore the area, go rafting, fish, enjoy the town and explore Tetons

9/24-25 find accommodations in YSNP for one night , if not then spend the extra night by the south entrance to Yellowstone or West entrance

9/25-28 rent a cabin around henrys lake or island park, check out Mesa falls , go back into the park to fly fish, hike, see the sites. Harriman Park has horseback riding so maybe do that here?

The reason why I'm thinking to stay west entrance for the longest stretch is because there's great fishing And also easy accessibility to the park to go for the day without driving far. Is this correct? If so should we just do two days between jackson and south entrance then drive straight through the park to stay in henrys lake area four nights?

9/29 Because we fly out of SLC ( and flying internationally) at 7:00am we were thinking to just drive through Idaho to SLC and sleep in the cAr someplace on the way down, not to waste money on a hotel. Any suggestions on sites, fishing spots or cheep places to stay on this stretch of hwy 15?

Thanks!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,585 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to YNP , GTNP for a fisherman and his girlfriend

There will be some road closures in the park that may have an impact on the routes you take in the park.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/parknews/14057.htm

Also be aware that weather can be iffy at that time of the year so camping may not be a good option. Snow is a possibility.

In most states you cannot just pull over at a rest stop and sleep in your car- it is against the law.

If no in park lodging then check out West Yellowstone or Gardiner.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to YNP , GTNP for a fisherman and his girlfriend

I'm not sure where you're planning to fish, but from what you mentioned in your post, it could get a bit expensive. Keep in mind that you will need licenses in each different state - MT, WY, and ID - as well as a separate license for fishing in YNP. You can check the regulations and fees on each state's website, as well as on the YNP website.

That said, the area is definitely well-known for fly-fishing, and the end of Sept. is usually a good time of year for it. I would suggest contacting some fly-fishing shops in the area - West Yellowstone and/or Gardiner - for more specific information.

You also might want to look at lodging closer to the park for your last few nights - you'll be adding a lot of driving by staying in the Island Park/Henry's Lake area.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to YNP , GTNP for a fisherman and his girlfriend

Wow, yes this definitely changes things. Thanks peachbellefor the heads up!

Edited: 17 August 2014, 00:08
Flowood, Mississippi
Level Contributor
286 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to YNP , GTNP for a fisherman and his girlfriend

Lissa R, you might want to check the websites for rafting trips. Barker-Ewing in the Jackson area, usually stops their trips around the third week of September. Harriman usually runs their horseback trips until about Oct.1. I'm not sure about horseback rides in the Teton area. I would Google "horseback rides in GTNP area".

Check the state Wildlife and Fisheries websites for each state where you want to fish for license cost. Most offer a one day, three day or seven day license for non-residents. Have a great trip!

5. Re: First trip to YNP , GTNP for a fisherman and his girlfriend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 July 2016, 14:59
Edited: 10 July 2016, 14:59
6. Re: First trip to YNP , GTNP for a fisherman and his girlfriend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 06:16