We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Short-term Relo to Osage Beach ?

Brighton, Michigan
6 posts
Save Topic
Advice on Short-term Relo to Osage Beach ?

Any advice on relocating to LOTO, short term or for retirement? We own a house in Michigan, on a small lake with a pontoon boat. Would like a lake condo further south, with a longer summer and less brutal winter. Osage Beach area seems ideal, with many reasonably-priced condos on a nice (?) lake, convenient shopping, restaurants, health care, and activities.

(Will be retired, so job market is irrelevant.)

But we heard summer weather is terribly humid, lots of mosquitoes, crowds of 100,000 visitors in summer, few activities in winter, also earthquake risk? Other posts on this site suggest showering after swimming in the lake, huge boats cause big waves that will swamp and sink a pontoon. This gives us pause.

Local realtors of course say the area is wonderful. Or do the many condos for sale (currently over 1,100) suggest high turnover from folks who give up on living here?

Comments or advice?

KCMO
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Short-term Relo to Osage Beach ?

We've been going to the LOTO for years. Yes summers can be very crowded. My parents and counsins both own pontoons and have never been swamped. And yes summers can be very hot and humid with mosquitoes around for a few weeks. Normally July and August are our hottest months but in the last few years we've had some pretty high temps in June. The earthquake threat is pretty non-existant other then a fault line in the eastern side of Missouri had a large earthquake over 100 years ago. (So all those Discovery channnel disaster shows have given us warning of what could happen if a quake should occur again.) There is lots of shopping and activites if you are on the Osage Beach side of the lake. My concern would be the roads in the winter time. Normally our winters are not bad but we have had a few ice storms and blizzards. Many of the roads to the residents homes/condo are curvy and narrow. As for showering, some do some don't. A couple of the beaches at the LOTO have been closed during the past few summers for contamination. But the rest has been okay. You may want to look up those areas.

Eldon, Missouri
Level Contributor
11 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Short-term Relo to Osage Beach ?

the Lake of the Ozarks region experienced a building boom in the 90's just like everywhere, accounting for the many condos and homes for sale since the economic downturn. I live near Eldon which is a little community near Osage Beach. I recently bought a weekend lake cabin on the Gravois arm of the lake, which is where we call the poor side, but is very misleading, lol, because there is a mansion being built right now across from my dock. It is the low water side of the lake, where a little more fishing goes on. There are condos everywhere on the lake. It would be hard to suggest what area another person might like, I would suggest coming down for a month, and touring around, and seeing what you like. The beaches being contaminated- that is subjective, they arent sure if its people not showering then using the beach, or if it is geese, or what. There have always been sewer issues on Lake of the Ozarks and still are, just google it, you can read all about that. No earthquake risk, that fault line is three to five hours east of here, although we do sit on an extensive network of caves, so one might feel tremors, although I never have in the 20 years I've lived here. I lived on the epicenter of that fault before moving here and never felt anything either. Mosquitos and humidity- hehe, I came from Arkansas and Texas, what mosquitos in Missouri? Seriously there are a few, but I own a pest control company and we maybe get three mosquito calls a year. There are hardly any some years. Hope this helps.

Brighton, Michigan
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Short-term Relo to Osage Beach ?

Thank you for the information!

Eldon, Missouri
Level Contributor
11 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Short-term Relo to Osage Beach ?

your welcome, i was out on the lake last night thinking about how diverse it would be for you to try and choose not knowing the area. Anything we can do to help, just ask. The winter gets pretty sharp for a few weeks in Feb last year we got like a 16 inch snowfall, but nothing like Michigan. I went to lake Michigan in May one year and it was still cold.

Brighton, Michigan
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Short-term Relo to Osage Beach ?

Thanks Jay. More questions:

You-Tube has videos of race boats, going up to 200mph around other boats. No speed limits on LOTO - seems unsafe. One website mentions LOTO has highest boat fatalities of any lake in USA. State patrol lists reported accidents - nearly all are at LOTO. The local news has numerous boat crash reports. From all this, boating on LOTO seems risky?

What are the "no wake" areas? Some resorts and condos say they are in a "no wake cove." Is there a map of designated "no wake" areas? Are all coves "no wake"?

Comments or advice?

6. Re: Advice on Short-term Relo to Osage Beach ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 16:42
South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
938 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Short-term Relo to Osage Beach ?

We like the 'quiet side' too - Gravois Mills, Sunrise Beach, Camdenton area. You can easily get to the activity via the bridge of you want to shop at the outlet mall or go to Bagnall Dam. I would start your search around Camdenton. As for the mosquitos - we are originally from northern Indiana (close to South Bend) and we always laugh that there are no mosquitos in Missouri compared to Indiana! The only time we use Off is when visiting family 'up north'!

Eldon, Missouri
Level Contributor
11 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on Short-term Relo to Osage Beach ?

I live in a no wake cove. Now before we bought that place, the year before the residents signed a petition to get ride jetskis in the cove. But this summer, patrol has been real good about keeping them slow. We get some huge boats in the mouth of our very small cove due to two gas docks at the mouth of it, but the high speed racing boats are usually restricted to the "Shoot Out" which was two weekends ago. There is a high fatality rate. But you will learn there are just times and places you don't go if you don't want to get caught up in that. Right now, mid week, the lake is like a ghost town when we went down there last night. Also- there is a rental/sales management company that we work for that I wanted to refer-PMG (pmglake.com) we spray two condo complexes for them. The one at Camdenton is very nice, its called Summer Place. Sue Skotkny is the contact on that.

KCK
Level Contributor
864 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on Short-term Relo to Osage Beach ?

If you look at most of those accident reports they involve PWC's. Some people are just not very bright when they get on a jet ski. If I were retiring there I would probably look at Osage Beach. They have a good hospital and lots of services. Look at condos at or above the 30mm. Water will be much more quiet and there are still lots of places to go by land or water.

Laurie, Missouri
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on Short-term Relo to Osage Beach ?

I have lived at the lake of the ozarks for 6 years. Three part time and three full time. I live in Laurie which is considered the quite side of the lake (it's true). I also lived in Michigan for 14 years and boated on Lake St. Clair and Erie. What you will find in Missouri is an extended boating season and significantly warmer water as compared to Michigan. It is not uncommon in the summer for the first 6 feet of water to be nearly 85. It does get hot here in the summer, but the water is refreshing. It is also unusual for this lake to freeze over. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen ice across the main channel. Most boats never leave the docks here year round. I will tell you this is a tourist area and winters are very mundane. Many of the waterfront restaurants are seasonal and closed for the winter. You will also find that this lake is highly commercialized in that there are waterfront restaurants, resorts, bars, etc all over the lake. Most restaurants see as much or more boat traffic as they do car traffic. If you prefer city life, the east side (Osage Beach, Lake Ozark) is the area. If you prefer country life, the west side (Camdenton, Laurie, Sunrise Beach, Gravois Mills) is the area. The west side is accessed via state highways and the east side via Interstate 54. The main hospital is in Osage Beach, but there are doctors offices and clinics on both sides and the hospital is only 30 minutes drive from the west side. As for the fatalities, well drinking and boating never mix. It is a dammed up river so it is narrow and often it is tourists that are unfamiliar with the lake doing stupid things that get them in trouble. There is a speed limit 30 mph at night only. Living here full time you will find that the absolute best times on this lake is during the week when mostly the locals are on the water. I don't take the boat out on the big holidays, but most weekends are fine. Unlike many lakes, this lake draws boaters from all over (KS, IL, IN, CO, IA, NE, TX, OK, AR, WI). It's a great place to live. Hope this helps.

Get answers to your questions about Lake of the Ozarks
Recent Conversations