We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best route from Auckland to Airport

Cheshire
Level Contributor
93 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
best route from Auckland to Airport

Hi

Google maps have given me 2 choices of route

Gillies Ave, Manukau Rd, Pah Rd to Southwestern Mwy H20 then H20A to the airport

or Southern Motorway H1 and across to Airport

The first was shortest but both gave a similar time. We're staying in the Grafton area and will be travelling on Sunday 29th January and are aiming to get to the airport for about 10am

Your local knowledge of the roads would be much appreciated

Pat

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best route from Auckland to Airport

The first is the way I always go (as does the airporter bus). On a Sunday morning, you're not going to have a whole lot of traffic to contend with.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best route from Auckland to Airport

The easiest route in my opinion is the Gillies Ave, Pah Rd route - so I would go that way.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best route from Auckland to Airport

Agree with the rest of the posters. There are little signs with a plane on them to help you with the route, although can't guarantee they are on every corner!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best route from Auckland to Airport

Everythime I have driven FROM Auckland Airport without GPS I have gotten lost. However I have never gotten lost following the little blue signs TO the airport!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,927 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best route from Auckland to Airport

Am I the only fan for the South Eastern highway exit - then Church St & Neilson St, Onehunga route? I never venture off the Gillies ramp anymore - way too many traffic lights, and the roadway is too narrow. Admittedly on a Sunday morning that busier route should be more straightfoward - but even more so is the quicker route Ive outlined. Little blue airport signs displayed as well!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
93 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best route from Auckland to Airport

Hi

Many thanks for your replies, the first rute does seem more direct and we won't be in any hurry

Thanks again

Pat

Cheshire
Level Contributor
93 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best route from Auckland to Airport

Hi

Just checked calender and the 29th Jan is a SATURDAY not Sunday, what will the traffic situation be on a Saturday morning?

need new glasses

Pat

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,927 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best route from Auckland to Airport

The advantage for taking the route I suggested is that the industrial workers are enjoying their weekend. This wide arterial route will be very quiet. Avoid the urge to speed above the 50 kph mark, if taking this route, since you'll encounter little traffic along Neilson St on a Saturday morn.

The Gillies Ave-Manukau Rd-Pah Road should be quieter than its midweek madness. I still find its a slow crawl though with all the traffic lights/intersections etc etc. Saturday shoppers will be your main contention.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best route from Auckland to Airport

Hi

I would definitely go via Gillies Avenue etc particularly if you are going to be in Grafton.

10. Re: best route from Auckland to Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2011, 06:53