We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best driving route during traffic

long island
Level Contributor
225 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Best driving route during traffic

I will be landing after a long flight from the US at Auckland International Airport on a Tues. at 4pm. I must rent a car and drive to Torbay. Any suggestions on the best route? Thanks.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best driving route during traffic

Nice time to arrive - if everything goes well with customs and collecting your car, you'll be heading through Auckland at the peak traffic time. Are you sure you'll be up to driving after the flight?

If you are intent upon collecting a car from the airport and driving, my inclination would be to head for the nearest Northern motorway onramp - the connection to the motorway at Manakau is pretty good to get to now, and well signposted. You'll not hit the massive traffic until you get to central Auckland, but at least you'll already be on the motorway.

The other alternatives involve taking the South Western Motorway, but that will see you on local streets in central Auckland - best avoided.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,178 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best driving route during traffic

Driving in Auckland is a "pigs breakfast'. My Auckland colleagues decribe this road at this time as "the South Auckland parking lot" To top it off we drive on the left. If you have no alternative but to do this then I suggest you use a GPS and stay really calm.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best driving route during traffic

Hi

The following what Google Maps recommends. The main thing is to get on to the sourthern/northern motorway and I would say that the Google Maps suggestion is as good a route as any for anyone who does not know their way. It is possible to get on the motorway further south but the chances of taking a wrong turn are much higher.

I would not be in too much of a rush to get away from the airport as you are going to hit the peak afternoon traffic. You may find it takes a while to get on the motorway at Gillies Avenue but once on the motorway the traffic should flow slowly but steadily through the city and over the harbour bridge

1. Head west on Ray Emery Drive

500 m

2. Continue onto Tom Pearce Drive

400 m

3. Turn left at George Bolt Memorial Drive

Go through 2 roundabouts

4.5 km

4. Take the ramp onto South-Western Motorway

5.7 km

5. Take exit 15 for Queenstown Rd toward Auckland/12

500 m

6. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Queenstown Rd heading to 12/Auckland

Go through 1 roundabout

850 m

7. Continue onto Pah Rd

1.8 km

8. Continue onto Manukau Rd

2.7 km

9. Turn left at Alpers Ave (signs for 1/Auckland)

350 m

10. Turn right at Gillies Ave (signs for Motorway North/1)

190 m

11. Merge onto Route 1 via the ramp to Auckland

19.8 km

12. Take exit 410 for Oteha Valley Rd toward 29

450 m

13. Turn right at Oteha Valley Rd

Go through 2 roundabouts

1.8 km

14. Continue onto Carlisle Rd

1.6 km

15. Turn left at Beach Rd

2.1 km

Torbay

long island
Level Contributor
225 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best driving route during traffic

Thanks for all your advice. Any guess on how long the drive will take? Also if we decided to dine somewhere near the airport before heading to Torbay do you have any suggestions as to a 'scenic spot' to stop and eat and approximately at what time do you think the traffic will thin out?

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best driving route during traffic

There is very little appealing near the airport in terms of getting food (there are, of course, food places inside the airport). Best option is probably one of the local hotel dining rooms.

Otherwise, there are places in Manakau (if you take my suggested route) or, if you take the googlemaps route (I still wouldn't - my one is dead easy now), you'll not see anything nice until you hit (ironically enough) Manakau Road (which is not anywhere near Manakau) at Ellerslie.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,178 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best driving route during traffic

What are the chances Barry and wonderwoman of you both picking the same icon?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,290 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best driving route during traffic

Given the long journey from the US I'd take a shuttle to Torbay & eat once there. I never feel like eating soon after a long flight and would rather get to my final destination ASAP.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best driving route during traffic

Mike about 20 to one, TA has a small selection of avatars to choose if you don't load up your own. :) Still weird though, like talking to yourself.

PS- & it's naturewoman even though she's probably wonder-ful anyway.

long island
Level Contributor
225 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best driving route during traffic

Thanks everyone. Am I correct that the Southern highway, Auckland-Hamilton Hwy,and Northern Hwy. are all the same (Route 1) and I just get on this road and head north? I'm upset I'm arriving at the worst possible traffic time and am now reconsidering heading to Torbay. It's just that I do home exchange and that's where the house is.

10. Re: Best driving route during traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2011, 05:18