We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we change Napier for the Coromandal area?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
551 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Should we change Napier for the Coromandal area?

Wondering if we should include the Coromandel area in our itinery in place of Napier?

We are also going to visit Bay of Islands 1 night only, Waitomo Caves, Rotorua, Taupo and Auckland.

Annette

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we change Napier for the Coromandal area?

Depends what you are interested in - I think Napier (and Hawkes Bay generally) is a fantastic area, and especially if you would like to visit a few wineries.

Coromandel is also a fantastic area - I think it partly depends which parts of the Bay of Islands you are visiting when you are up there, as some of the coastline around the Bay of islands is similar in some respects to the Coromandel.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
986 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we change Napier for the Coromandal area?

Having been to both, I'd choose the Coromandel. But it does depend on what you're there for: gorgeous beaches, hiking, tiny towns says Coromandel.

Napier is a pretty town, and we did love the wineries between there and Gisborne. But it's a fair amount of driving, whether you come over the hill from Taupo or over the hill from Opotiki. The setting for Napier is less dramatic than the Coromandel, and the beaches don't compare.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we change Napier for the Coromandal area?

Hi

Better beaches in the Coromandel but Napier is a lovely place to visit.

I was there recently for the first time in a long time and I had forgotten just how pleasant a place it was - clean and tidy, interesting architecture, nice places to eat, some very sophisticated shops not to mention the wineries and friendly and helpful people. The drive over from Taupo is also very pleasant.

Personally I would opt for Napier particularly as you will have been to the Bay of Islands - but it really depends on your interests and how you want to spend your time.

4. Re: Should we change Napier for the Coromandal area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 04:17