We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

auckland souveniers..urgent please!!

Sydney, Australia
14 posts
Save Topic
auckland souveniers..urgent please!!

hi guys, i am in auckland now. you guys have such a beautiful country.. its amazing that the whole country is rugged! i wouldnt find enough words to express my amazement.

im staying in a hotel in auckland central. there are lot of souvenier(pardon my spelling) shops on queen st, but seems like they are all over priced! could anyone suggest a place out of the city central, where these things are reasonably priced? note i dont wanna travel too far, about 10-20 min bus ride is fine. i dont have car at the moment. so let me know where do i take a bus?

we have really cheap souvenier shops in sydney just 15 min out of the city in china town. so i am guessing auckland has it too? thanks a lot guys

Best Seller
Waitomo Caves and Hobbiton Movie Set...
354 reviews
from US$251.60*
Best Seller
Hobbiton, Rotorua and Waitomo Caves...
125 reviews
from US$302.40*
Best Seller
Food and Wine-Tasting Tour of Waiheke...
184 reviews
from US$112.00*
Waitomo Caves and Rotorua Day Trip...
341 reviews
from US$244.10*
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: auckland souveniers..urgent please!!

I have several suggestions for you:

K'Road

Victoria Park markets

Mount Eden shops

Silvia Park Shopping Mall - this place is very large and you're most likely able to find something here.

Good luck : )

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: auckland souveniers..urgent please!!

Are you wanting N.Z.souvenirs 'made in China' or are you after genuine N.Z. crafted souvenirs?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: auckland souveniers..urgent please!!

there is a big souvenir store next to iSite at Skycity. U can pick up some pretty cool stuffs there. Also with the Rugby world cup looming, why not pick up a thing or two related to it? I recall a shop dedicated to it near the harbour. Not cheap. But they are good quality.

Sydney, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: auckland souveniers..urgent please!!

thanks guys.

@ Valgee

i cant afford to buy expensive gifts for everyone. So, I am looking for stuffs that are of good quality and reasonably priced. often the shops in the heart of a CBD are expensive as they get the most exposure to tourists n pay high rents. Btw, i am wondering why all the queen st souvenir shops have asian owners? It does not look like they are selling all new zealand made products!

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: auckland souveniers..urgent please!!

I have found some of the most authentic souvenirs are bought at markets where one is often able to talk to the craftmaker. I understand what you are saying about a need to buy inexpensive gifts for many friends but so many souvenirs are Asian manufactured to keep the price tag lower. Here in Rotorua many of our souvenir shops have Asian owners. Possum/merino gloves, scarfs and hats are light to carry, easy to pack and are moderately priced but even these are now more often than not 'made in China'. I guess if you find suitable souvenirs that appear to be a reasonable quality and made from authentic material, your friends will be happy to receive the gifts. It is after all the thought that matters!

Auckland NZ
Level Contributor
8 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: auckland souveniers..urgent please!!

Hi, suppose this is too late for you, Elephant House at 237 Parnell Road is a craft co-op full of NZ made crafts, and staffed by craftspeople. You can catch the Link bus from downtown

7. Re: auckland souveniers..urgent please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 23:17