We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days around/about Aucland

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
670 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
10 days around/about Aucland

Myself & a companion are flying into Auckland on Dec 1st & leaving again on Dec 11th.

Any advice/suggestions regarding accommodation, sites to visit, car hire rates etc would be appreciated.

We are interested in culture, scenery & generally a relaxing time to include some shopping, restaurants & such like.

Is it feasible to drive & stay at different locations or is it more advisable to use one base & embark on a series of day trips?

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

By the way we are both active golden oldies c.60 yrs young. A game or two of golf could also be nice.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days around/about Aucland

Hi Bertie,

the usual thing is to have a car or use other transport options and move around staying at various places along your chosen route. From what you say you're looking for I think you would enjoy spending a couple of days or so in Auckland and doing things there, then take off to explore a bit. If you're keen to set a relaxing pace then I think you would choose between heading up to Northland and spending a while exploring the many wonderful things to do there, or head out towards Rotorua, Waitomo, and/or Coromandel.

Australia
Level Contributor
371 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days around/about Aucland

NZ is easy travel and short distances. Stay a couple of days in Auckland but you could also travel to Rotorua for a night, go to a Maori show and Hangi. then easy in 6 hrs to Wellington which is well worth the visit. Te Papa Museum in Wellington is a must. 3 nights there then travel back to Auckland.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
670 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days around/about Aucland

Thanks Snodge & Poppet for your suggestions. They certainly give me a good start & areas to mull over. Do u suggest booking accommodation as we go or is it very busy that time of the year?

Again Thanks!

Australia
Level Contributor
371 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days around/about Aucland

I would book prior as holiday period. Stay in city as easy walking and you could not worry about a car for a day or 2, less expense and no parking worries. Rotorua I would look at Novotel as good location and excellent heated pool. Next to venue for Hangi and show. Wellington try the Quest Atrium, there are 2 Quests on same st so ensure it is Atrium. Self contained, good heated pool. Centrl in city with easy walk to wharf and museum, cable car which is worth an early morning ride to get spectacular views, cafes, shopping. Walk across rd to get lift down to Lambton Quay. It has undercover parking and is reasonable cost.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
118 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days around/about Aucland

I'd recommend Waiheke Island. It's a short 45 minute ferry trip from downtown Auckland. The island has its own microclimate as well as great wineries and arts and crafts. Waiheke also has some stunning beaches if you're into that sort of thing.

If you do end up renting a car take a drive up north to Matakana (less than an hour away from Central Auckland) and experience the Matakana Farmers Market on Saturday morning where you can try fresh locally grown produce, boutique food stalls and listen to the live band....

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days around/about Aucland

Hi

You would not have to book the first days of December but I always suggest that you book your first couple of nights. Do you wish to "DO" the cities or would you rather visit our scenery??

You could stay right in the City when you arrive or before you leave but there is so much more to see and do on the outskirts of Auckland.

The West has the Waitakeres, Piha beach, Arataki, Kumeu wine country, Muriwai beach and world renowned gannet colony, and there is an abundance of golf courses, cafes restaurants and country markets on selected days. All this is only 30 minutes form downtown Auckland.

My suggestion would be to go up the West coast to the Bay of Island for 2 or 3 nights and then to Rotorua/Taupo for 2 or 3 nights.

To see the best of New Zealand you do need a rental car.

Enjoy our beautiful country

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
670 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days around/about Aucland

Thank you very much for your informative response - it has been very helpful to us in planning our trip. How far is your lodge/accommodation from Auckland City Centre and is there public transport available? We would like to spend a few days in the city centre and then perhaps rent a car and do some travelling around and visiting local attractions. Typically what could one expect to pay per night for a reasonable mid range accommodation B&B style?

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
670 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 days around/about Aucland

Calicolodge, My last post 3 days ago was directed mainly at you & your helpful suggestions. I would appreciate it, if you had any further comments or suggestions.

Thanks again, Bertie

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 days around/about Aucland

Hello and welcome to the Auckland Forum

With 10 days you would have time to enjoy the Auckland Region and if you wished to go further afield either north (to Bay of Islands) or south (to Rotorua/Taupo) but not both.

The best of Auckland is to be found in the surrounding areas and in particular Waitakere Ranges to the west where you will find black sand beaches (notably Piha and Karekare), regenerating rain forest (we call it “bush”) lots of walks, beautiful scenery and not too many people. To the north west of the city is the rural area around Kumeu where you will find many of Auckland’s best wineries. The nearby gannet colony at Muriwai beach is well worth a visit. Slightly further afield to the north east is the Matakana area. There are restaurants and also golf courses near or in all the above areas but none are well, if at all, served by public transport and really the best way to get around New Zealand is by car.

I would suggest that you consider spending a couple of nights in the city, either at the beginning or the end of your ten days. In the city you would not really need a car and in many ways it can be more of a hinderance than help. You could get around the city using the Explorer Bus, The Link Bus or taxi.

For an overview have a look at:

www.aucklandnz.com

In the city itself I suggest Mission Bay/St Heliers for beaches with view over the harbour towards the extinct volcanic island of Rangitoto and a back drop of cafes and restaurants.

For Maori culture then the Cultural Concert/Performance at the Auckland Museum is not to be missed. Have a look at:

www.aucklandmuseum.com

Other places of interest include the Viaduct Basin, Maritime Museum , Sky Tower and for shopping either Parnell for boutique type shops or Newmarket just up the road which is arguably the best shopping area in Auckland. You may also wish to take a trip over to Waiheke Island. The ferry trip (about 45 minutes) is a good way of seeing the harbour.

If you wanted to go either north or south I would allow 4 days. This will leave you 4 days to visit the Auckland region and I would suggest basing yourselves somewhere out of the city.

With regard to accommodation it depends on what you are looking for. There is a section on accommodation on the www.aucklandnz.com site. You may also wish to take a look at www.wotif.com. The beginning of December will be relatively quiet. I would suggest you book your first couple of nights and possibly your last night and have a list of possible places to stay at other times so that you can email or call ahead.

If you decided you wanted to go north then I would suggest going up the west side via the Kauri Museum at Matakohe ( well worth a visit even if you are not “museum people”) and the Waipoua Forest to the Hokianga Harbour and on the way back south via the east side taking the coastal routes if time permits.

If you wanted to go south then you could head to Rotorua via Waitomo Caves or alternatively take in the Coromandel. If you do go south do not miss out Taupo – a very beautiful area just an hour further on from Rotorua.

Hope this helps.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
670 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 days around/about Aucland

I have reserved my first 3 nights accommodation in the Auckland City Oaks Hotel, where we will use as a base to explore the City & also plan the rest of our stay in NZ based mainly on the suggestions/advice that was given here on this Forum.

I wish to thank in advance all the contributers for their assistance.to date & wish you all well in your unselfish continuance help.