We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best meat pies in Auckland

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Best meat pies in Auckland

Visiting over Easter - where do i find the best pies, especially interesting tastes like mussels, venison etc?

I have heard about Muzza's and we have one not far from us.

Any other little treaures to seek out?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
327 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best meat pies in Auckland

I have a Auckland based mate who swears by Ponsonby Pies, especially their smoked fish pie.

Cheers

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best meat pies in Auckland

I would also recommend the steak and cheese pies. I never could imagine such a combination but, my word, it works. Wish we had them back here.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best meat pies in Auckland

Thanks guys, Are they a supermarket style frozen pie or is there a ponsonby pie shop?

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best meat pies in Auckland

www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm…

Some of these pie shops are in the Auckland area.

Ponsonby Pies can be bought from the chiller section of some supermarkets and I think they're also available in some petrol stations etc.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best meat pies in Auckland

Ponsonby Pies were once pretty good, but now they are just mass produced and sit in the supermarket chiller with a shelf life of around 10 days. There are any number of small bakeries around town that make far better freshly baked pies.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
327 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best meat pies in Auckland

Oh no thats a shame, I remember them from the good ol days, mind you I also remember Georgie Pie!!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,019 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best meat pies in Auckland

But then Quinn you are old !!!!!!!!!!! I note that you are holding onto your avatar still or are we still meandering down memory lane and wishful thinking LOL.

The original Ponsonby Pie shop used to be on Ponsonby Road but I am not sure if it is still there. They would be the dearest pie in the Supermarket chiller judging from my observation.

Edited: 28 March 2012, 03:30
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best meat pies in Auckland

Pie Mania, could be good. I don't have any personal experience but I see people walking out of there all the time snd there prices seem good. I don't know how interesting their flavours are though.

Tauranga
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best meat pies in Auckland

Ponsonby Pies are made in Tauranga, by the same people that make Pat's Pantry Pies. They have been for a few years.

The 2011 Bakels Pie Award winner was a spiced plum, port and apple pie from Viands Bakery at Kihikihi.

http://www.nzbakels.co.nz/pie_awards.cfm

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best meat pies in Auckland

You might want to try Penny Lanes Bakery, 248 Onehunga Mall, Onehunga - the only bakery near central Auckland to have prize winning pies (Mince and Cheese, Steak and Veg).