We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel deals?

Exeter
Level Contributor
157 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel deals?

I will be visiting New zealand next year when England play cricket. Smart money says there will be a test in Auckland so I thought I would start looking early for accommodation.

When I go on holiday to the Caribbean BA and Virgin normally have the best hotel deals (I assume this is because they fly thousands of holidaymakers to the islands every day and that gives them great purchasing power). I assumed that a similar principle would apply in New Zealand, but the rates for hotels via the Air New zealand web site are extortionate.

Does anyone know why this is? Are there any other site that provide good deals outside the popular ones (expedia, booking.com etc)

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel deals?

Hi there

Firstly, there is no certainty whatsoever that there would be a test in Auckland as Auckland doesn't have a proper cricket ground.

One of the ODIs and T20s will definitely be played in Auckland, but not necessarily a test.

Most hotels probably aren't even displaying rates for 2013 yet so it may be a bit early, but there are loads of booking sites to look at...

eg

booking.com

hotels.com

aatravel.co.nz

Nearer the time, sites like wotif.com will have good deals, but at the moment they only have a 90 day booking window (ie you can only book 3 months in advance)....

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel deals?

Bare in mind that the Caribbean is a mass market tourist destination for the highly populated continents of Europe and North America. Because of this, a person flying from any one destination can have quite a large choice in airlines, and airlines will look for ways to compete with each other.

New Zealand does not really work on the same principal. Every now and then, a package deal will make things cheaper, but usually, as far as accommodation goes, the best deals are found by booking last minute. Booking websites such as Wotif.com, or even keeping an eye out on sites such as GrabOne, can often score you the best deals. But for a year out, these sites won't work.

Of course, last minute deals are often hard to come by when a big event is on. You could check out the aa website, looking at motels as well as hotels. Our motels are very comfortable and provide good value for money.

Edited: 31 March 2012, 21:07
Exeter
Level Contributor
157 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel deals?

Thanks for the advice.

Obviously not going to make a booking before the tour dates are known. I would prefer to book early, rather than wait for a saving at the last minute.

I did notice there were several motels on one of the booking web sites. In UK a motel (as in the Bates motel) is normally thought of as a lower standard accommodation which is located near a major road, some way out from town. I guess in New Zealand things are a bit different.

It's nice to see that accommodation is reasonably priced in NZ, not like those thieves across the Tasman sea.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel deals?

Motels can be very nicely appointed and reasonably priced, but there are very few in Auckland CBD area. You'll need to shop around for the best deal closer to the time, as the pricing for all hotels is not the same on all booking sites, and no one seems to have the edge over others.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel deals?

Obvviously some motels are much nicer than others, but they are a very popular form of accommodation here in NZ. The main appeal is that they are usually quite a bit more spacious than a hotel room and, because they are self-contained, you can save money by preparing some of your own meals.

NZBarry is correct however in saying that the centre of Auckland doesn't have that many motels. There are quite a few in the suburbs, but not really the city centre. There is apartment style accommodation though (e.g Quest) which is similar to a motel, and often a bit cheaper than a hotel.

Also, not sure how reliable this article is, but it looks as though Eden Park might be gearing up for a test.

…scoop.co.nz/2012/…

Exeter
Level Contributor
157 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel deals?

The problem with the Eden Park prediction is that it says May 2013.

England tour in February and March. By May both teams will be back in UK.

Tauranga, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel deals?

There won't be a test in Auckland, as there is no test venue (test are no longer played in large stadiums in NZ). Smarter money says there will be a test in Hamilton at Seddon park, probably Wellington at the Basin Reserve, maybe Dunedin and maybe Napier. A list of some accommodation with prices for Auckland and Wellington can be found here tripwisenewzealand.com/north/wellington/well…

8. Re: Best hotel deals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2013, 10:26
Get answers to your questions about Auckland