We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vector Arena or Old Town Hall?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Topic
Vector Arena or Old Town Hall?

If a show is on at both these venues, which would be the better choice?

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vector Arena or Old Town Hall?

Depends what type of show - the Town Hall is a smaller and more intimate venue, so I would personally choose the Town hall for a concert.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,112 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vector Arena or Old Town Hall?

Your choice of venue could also depend on the location of your accommodation.

Have you decided where you are going to stay in the CBD yet?

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vector Arena or Old Town Hall?

Cheese and Chalk. Old Town Hall is about 100 years old and seats around 1,500 people in the main hall and 500 in the concert hall. Vector is a modern indoor stadium style venue which can seat 12,000 people.

My choice would depend on the type of show. Some forms of music and choral presentations would probably sound better in the warm intimate acoustics of the town hall. (consider audiophile distinction between valve amps and electronic amplifiers) It has a loads of character and beauty. Stage visibility may be difficult in some seating areas.

Vector has the whole megaproduction array of lighting, sound, media screens, and overamplified rock star style appeal. It is ideal for the huge stage events like Walking with Dinosaurs and How to Train Your Dragon.

I'd be surprised though to see a production available at both venues at the same time. They tend to cater for different types of shows and audiences.

Edited: 23 May 2012, 00:37
Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vector Arena or Old Town Hall?

What a curious question. I would pick the show, as opposed to the venue, which interested me the most.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vector Arena or Old Town Hall?

I know Flight of the Conchords are actually doing shows at both of these venues, so its not such a curious question......

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vector Arena or Old Town Hall?

Should I leave this alone or not?!

An audiophile is as much interested in the technology with which she listens to the music on as in the music itself. Acoustical environments, architecture, ambiance, lighting, relational spaces etc can all impact dramatically on one's perception and reception of a performance.

That is posited as one of the reasons why the great cathedrals of the world were built at such considerable cost, social and financial. An ecclesiastical 'shock n' awe' assault on the senses of the unwashed masses to ensure compliance and humility.

As in music reproduction it is often a question of resolution and scale. Perhaps you are an aficionado of a particular genre of performance such as say Choral or Opera. You will be more sensitive to the nuances of enhancement or degradation within a particular performance space. If you are not a fan, opera may sound like cats wailing and screeching no matter where you hear it.

So yes, for some people, venue may have a big impact on their enjoyment of an event. For others, it is more about having a comfortable seat and a good view of the stage. Horses for courses.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vector Arena or Old Town Hall?

Thanks AndyChef. Now the question makes sense to me.

In that case I would pick the Town Hall.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vector Arena or Old Town Hall?

Hi

If you are planning to go to the Flight of the Conchords then definitely the Town Hall.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
402 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vector Arena or Old Town Hall?

If you can get tickets.....

10. Re: Vector Arena or Old Town Hall?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 09:41