We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

london flights to Auckland

Norwich
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
london flights to Auckland

How late can I leave it to get a flight below £800 mid Feb 2013 from any London airport to Auckland. Would like shortest flight times and not China Airlines.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: london flights to Auckland

Hi there

I would be surprised if you get anything under 800 pounds....

The routings with the shorter flight times and more convenient stopovers will tend to be the most popular and therefore most expensive.

Whats wrong with the China Southern Airlines flights ?? - these have a 6 hour layover in Guangzhou - I would think this would be quite a reasonable route and definitely the cheapest option around at the moment.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,772 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: london flights to Auckland

I can't get HKG to AKL return for £800 in Jan/ Feb so I really doubt if you can get all the way from LHR for this price. As Andy says, if price is #1 for you then China Southern is OK.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: london flights to Auckland

If you mean one way, this might work - I see Malaysia is about the £650 mark. If you use a booking site that shows how many seats are available (such as opodo), that will be a useful guide (but keep an eye on sales coming to an end). They have China Southern with a return fare of £830 for a month in NZ starting 14/2 - another £100 to fly Korean.

Ah - Kayak has come to the rescue: Korean Air out on the 16/2 back on 17/3 yields £830, but few seats left. Grab it now if you want that sort of fare would be my advice.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: london flights to Auckland

You may get a flight right at the last minute for about £800 but it will be long layovers, I know because I did the same thing last year. if you want nice quick flight times you need to raise your budget to approx £1000 or just over.

I can understand the OH not wanting to fly with China Southern, they don't have very good reviews, and from what I've read it's like flying a short haul economy, which I certainly wouldn't want for that flight.

As everyone agree's you will need to chose between comfort & price, you won't get both unless you drop really lucky.

Etihad are worth checking although you can't get the route on their own website it does show up on Skyscanner

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: london flights to Auckland

Yesterday Air NZ announced that it was withdrawing from Hong Kong to London flights, so that will reduce the competition.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
457 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: london flights to Auckland

I think you'd do well to get flights for £800 in February. If you aren't too bothered about which airline (I see you don't want to go with China Airlines), Royal Brunei usually come up cheap.

We've never been with them though, I have to say, but we have friends/family who have.

We always try to go Singapore Airlines, or Air NZ and always via Aisa.

Have a lovely trip :-)

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
457 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: london flights to Auckland

Oh no NZMike, I hadn't heard that about Air NZ withdrawing from Hong Kong, that's such a shame!

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: london flights to Auckland

They will code share with Cathay Pacific who will take over the Hong Kong to London stretch.

There are so few options now of flying from UK to NZ with the same carrier with your luggage staying on the same plane all the way through.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
457 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: london flights to Auckland

Ah right, thanks Mummygaot.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: london flights to Auckland

Are posters getting their airlines confused

AIR CHINA is different to China Southern and then there is also China Airlines just to confuse

Air China would transit at Beijing

China Southern at Guanghzou

and

China Airlines at Taiwan (being a Taiwanese carrier)