We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car in Auckland

Hudiksvall, Sweden
1 post
Save Topic
Rental car in Auckland

Hi,

we'll be spending 10 days in Auckland in February/March and want to rent a car. We had planned to book with GO rentals but have read som bad things about them here in the forum. It also seems that the other companies with budget rentals really aren't that reliable. We would really appreciate recommendations on which comapany to use. We'd want to pick the car up at Auckland Interantional Airport.

Thank you

Therese and Fredrik

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car in Auckland

You will be ok with any of the companies at the airport. There are some people who have bad experiences with car rental companies - sometimes because of their own actions, sometimes because of bad luck, occasionally because they dealt with people who weren't very nice. But most people have no problems at all.

If you go with a budget car rental company you will probably have an older car and a more basic service. You get what you pay for and all that. But the car rental companies have to abide by New Zealand laws for safety and good business practices.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car in Auckland

Sorry if it's too late but Go Rentals have been nothing but brilliant for us - including helpful, smiling folks at 6.30AM on a Sunday morning!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car in Auckland

Some old friends from the UK of ours last week rented a car from U Save and had no problems. We went out to the airport with themwhen they dropped the car off and the staff were pleasant and helpful.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car in Auckland

We used GoRental at Auckland airport (January 4th - 21st) and were initially given a rather scratched Toyota Camry. I told them it wasn't acceptable, so they gave me an identical unscratched one. It was good for 3500Km North to South. GR also arranged the Picton ferry for us and showed us how the satnav worked. Apart from the minor issue with the initial car (I believe they only have selected cars for one way drop off to Christchurch), I have nothing but praise for them both in Auckland and in Christchurch. The car was a little older than rentals in the US or UK are, but I understand that is more common in NZ (and Oz?), with 77,000Km on the clock, but it was just fine.

5. Re: Rental car in Auckland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 05:30