We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter trading hours

London
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Easter trading hours

Hello! I've searched the forums and I can't find anything on Easter trading hours for Auckland- so I'm hoping someone might be able help.... From memory of my last trip (5 years ago) I think most shops are closed all day Easter Sunday in NZ with a few exceptions. Our flight arrives at 5pm on Easter Sunday and we're picking up a rental car from the airport to drive straight to Whangarei. We were hoping to find somewhere to buy groceries for dinner/breakfast and a SIM card straight away but I do realise that most places will probably be shut... Does anyone know for sure whether any shops within the airport or nearby will be open? I know there's a big shopping centre but the liklihood is that it will be shut for Easter... I can settle for a few basic groceries to get us started to make sure we don't go hungry :-) I'm sure there must be a few convenience stores open but I don't want to go on a wild goose chase fresh out of a long flight. Many thanks for your help!!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,449 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter trading hours

These are the laws that shops have to comply with:

…govt.nz/er/…shop-opening-hours.asp

Hope they help.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter trading hours

Service stations (for petrol) will be open, there is a Z service station just as you come out of the airport terminal.

They will sell you a SIM card (2 degrees) and also basic groceries.

There is a big supermarket just along from there but this will be closed on Easter Sunday.

The service station will be your best bet.

On your route up to Whangarei, there may be 1 or 2 places open in Wellsford (normally the 24 hour cafe and one of the dairies there would be open).

In Whangarei, as you first arrive in the southern end of town, there is a GULL service station that has a small supermarket attached to it, and I would assume that will still be open...

London
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter trading hours

Perfect- thank you so much!!

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter trading hours

The duty free shop that you are forced to work through at Auckland airport sells 2 degree sims (it's on the left hand side). Vodafone and Telecom have stores in the public part of the airport. As you walk out into the public area after clearing customs, they are on the left.

Service stations will be open and will have milk and basic supplies.

5. Re: Easter trading hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 04:18