We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysia driving license

malaysia
Level Contributor
33 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Malaysia driving license

Hi,

I am malaysian holding driving license written in malay and english, can i use this license to drive in New Zealand?

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaysia driving license

My underrstanding is that as long as you have a full license, and it is written in English, that is valid to drive in NZ.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaysia driving license

Hi, I'm Malaysian, I visited NZ last year with my family...I have no problem with using my local driving license :)

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
252 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaysia driving license

In NZ you can use any valid licence from your home country as long as 1) it is written in english 2) it is atleast 1 yr old 3) If the licence is NOT written in english you need an IDP ( Which is nothing but a english language translation ) given by your home country licence issuing authority.

Western Victoria
Level Contributor
347 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaysia driving license

Plus, as you will see from various posts, take care when driving.

Ipoh, Malaysia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaysia driving license

What about using the same kind of license (Malaysian Drivers License in Malay and English) in Victoria, Australia?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaysia driving license

HockHin - suggest you post your question in the Victoria, Australia forum.

Ipoh, Malaysia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaysia driving license

Thanks, did not realised that this was for Auckland. Google got me here. Thanks

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaysia driving license

I have a P license from Malaysia and recently landed in Auckland. I am looking at NZTA site and wasn't able to find specific details on whether I can drive using P license or it should be Full license. Have anyone tried driving in NZ using P?

Thanks in advance. :)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaysia driving license

Welcome to the forum :)

A P licence is a provisional licence? I believe you can only drive here on a FULL licence.

However I don't work for NZTA. Why not simply contact them and ask? The 0800 number is on the website.

And please post back here with the result - it might help other visitors :)

10. Re: Malaysia driving license

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 06:16