We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

north island driving times

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
468 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
north island driving times

Heading to the North Island and have to go to Napier for a conference. Flying into Auckland, how long does it take to drive to Napier?

I have some extra time afterwards, was thinking of stopping off in Taupo/Rotorua to explore on the way back. Any must sees?

Thank you very much.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: north island driving times

You are looking at a minimum time on the road, with a break for lunch, of about six hours - going down through Taupo. Taupo has the lake, of course, and Huka Falls while Rotorua is about Maori cultural experiences and geothermal activities.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: north island driving times

Definitely a 6 hour trip from Auckland to Napier with stops

When you say stop off do you mean staying somewhere overnight for one or more nights?

Have a look at:

www.greatlaketaupo.com

and

www.rotoruanz.com

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: north island driving times

Have you thought about a domestic flight to Napier and hiring a car on a one way hire to explore Taupo and Rotorua on the return? That would be my preference.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: north island driving times

I would drive to Napier via Taupo allowing six hours. Depending on time coming back my suggestion would be to Taupo or Rotorua for a night then to Whakatane and round the Bay of Plenty back to Auckland. Just a beautiful part of our country, but very time dependant.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
468 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: north island driving times

Thank you all, that is very helpful.

Was going to stay around Taupo for 2 days on the way back, to relax and explore.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: north island driving times

If you're into hiking, the Tongariro Crossing might appeal while you're stopped at Taupo.

7. Re: north island driving times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 04:20