We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the Border----Richmond to Bellingham. WA

Which Richmond hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
874 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing the Border----Richmond to Bellingham. WA

Hi,

We will be in The Sheraton 4 Points hotel after a trip to Tofino, Campbell River, and a couple days in Vancouver. We will need to drive to Bellingham, Wa. for a Sat morning flight home and have to cross the border.

What is the crossing like? Stay in your car or have to get out and clear customs? What amount of time will this add to our trip to the airport?

I've crossed ther border at Tijuana and Niagra Falls and it's simple. Have no clue what this will add to our trip and don't want to miss our plane.

THanks,

Joe

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing the Border----Richmond to Bellingham. WA

It's the same as Tijuana with smaller lineups.

The Wild Card is crossing times-anywhere from 5 minutes to hours depending-the earlier you go the smaller the lineup should be.

www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html for updated info.

bc_canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing the Border----Richmond to Bellingham. WA

hi.. generally, if you cross the Border before 9am, there will be shorter line-ups. Tip: take the Truck Rte. Crossing, the last exit before the Border on Rte. 99. The line-ups here are usually shorter than at the Peace Arch (Rte. 99). And the officiers are usually nicer. Note: there are separate lines for cars, you won't be competing against big semis!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
874 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing the Border----Richmond to Bellingham. WA

Thanks!

I'll be crossing the border early, my plane leaves Bellingham airport at 9:15 so i guess it shouldn't be a problem.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing the Border----Richmond to Bellingham. WA

There's an electronic readerboard on 99 heading south just before the exit to the truck crossing that'll give you an estimate as to wait time at both the Peace Arch (I-5 crossing) and the truck crossing. It takes maybe an extra 5 minutes to drive to the truck crossing BUT coming over this morning, we found out there's major construction on the road just after the border crossing. So after waiting 40 minutes to get through the border, we had to wait an additional 10 minutes or so for a construction delay. So if the wait time estimates on the reader board are close (within 10-15 minutes of each other), I'd go for the Peach Arch.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
874 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing the Border----Richmond to Bellingham. WA

You could be a lifesaver.

I'm way ahead of myself here, the trip back to the airport isn't until 9-15-07.

I'll check a website if the province has one and update the construction delay. With any luck, the work will be done by the time my trip is over?

Joe

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,800 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing the Border----Richmond to Bellingham. WA

I've posted hints on crossing the border on the seattle forum. Click on my name and read the inside pages. Listen to station 1130 with border crossing every 9 minutes. The first one will be Blaine, 2nd truck crossing. Just be a ware that things can change quickly. I'd allow an hour and be surprised.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
874 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crossing the Border----Richmond to Bellingham. WA

Much Thanks!

I'll be crossing about 7am on a Sat morning so hopefully the wait won't be too long, whichever crossing I choose.

8. Re: Crossing the Border----Richmond to Bellingham. WA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 20:20