We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan my day, please.

Toronto
Level Contributor
315 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Help me plan my day, please.

Hi,

I am now visiting a friend and staying in Langley for two more weeks. I very much want to go to the temples on the "pathway to heaven", but have several questions.

First, let me say that I can only walk a very very very short distance without a rest. Secondly, I cannot sit on the floor (and get back up).

I am most interested in spending time in the Sikh Gurdwara and the Thangru Monastery, and if time permits the International Buddhist Temple. My friend will drop me off about 8:30 a.m. and pick me up again about 6 pm, but I must be able to say where..

I am not sure how to get from one to the other. I am sure there are taxis, but do not know the cost.

If anyone has any knowledge that can assist me in this, please respond. Any and all suggestions/information will be most welcome.

Thank you

Toronto
Level Contributor
315 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan my day, please.

Hello again,

Another critical question which I omitted is if there are areas to sit and meditate/relax. This past winter I spent two months in north India and the answer to this question varied much. For example, in Amritsar at the Golden Temple I could only sit on the stairs, and thankfully they were there. On the other hand, in McLeod Ganj , at the Dalai Lama temple complex, there were numerous benches for sitting.

This issue is critical for me. Thank you again for any responses.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,699 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan my day, please.

Hi cgw1 A

First of all, for the specific question of seating for meditation, I would suggest you call and talk to the facilities directly.

To get from the Sikh Gurdwara to Thrangu Monastery, the buses would take an hour and involve buses #340 with a transfer to #301 and then the #405. Here is the map for a day next week, with not very much walking to the bus stop. You can zoom the map in for greater detail.

http://goo.gl/maps/W3Ji4

A taxi would cost about $50 + tip.

To get from Thrangu Monastery to the International Buddhist Society, the buses would be #405 and then the #403 for 30 minutes. Here is a map:

http://goo.gl/maps/pqCpY

A taxi would cost about $15 + tip.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,545 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan my day, please.

Regarding your seating concerns, while I'm sure it doesn't feel good to consider something like this, have you considered renting/borrowing a wheeled walker with a seat? Because of your need to sit down when needed, I wonder if it would make you feel more comfortable to just take a seat with you everywhere? Then you don't need to worry about it.

Your friend can borrow one for free from the Red Cross Equipment Loan program.

redcross.ca/where-we-work/in-canada/british-…

Transportation in this area is difficult without a car, especially if walking is difficult for you, and so I think you would be well advised to consider using a taxi. However, taking a wheeled walker would give you more confidence for any walking you are doing, as well as provide instantly available seating at all times where ever you are.

Toronto
Level Contributor
315 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan my day, please.

Thank you very much for your info regarding distances, bus #'s, and taxi costs, MuftiMixandmatch. I think I will just wait until my friend takes me there. It is quite a hike by public transport and a taxi is expensive.

Vancouverite67, you are so right saying that it doesn't feel good considering a walker. I twisted my knee, very badly, at the end of June and am treating it with TLC until it is fully healed. Although the idea of a ready chair sounds like heaven, I think I will not avail myself of this option. I need to try, try, and try again or else I am afraid I would become too dependent on the device.

Thanks again.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,545 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me plan my day, please.

I guess its a case of determining your limits. You are absolutely right that you need to push yourself and not be dependant on the walker, but there is also a need to balance that with what you are taking on. Only you know where you are at in your recovery (and my DD dislocated her knee cap in June, so I have some idea about what you are dealing with). I'm sure you will be able to find seating as needed. I hope you took my suggestion in the vein it was intended - to help you to feel more confident about taking on this trip that seems to be very important to you.

Toronto
Level Contributor
315 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan my day, please.

Vancouverite67, of course I understand your intention is to make it better for me, and I thank you.

Actually I am in Van now, but decided to stay home today. Hope your DD has a full recovery.

Toronto
Level Contributor
315 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me plan my day, please.

My friend has been nominated to take me to the temples. All settled.

But, now I would like to get your opinions the big bus or the trolley hop on hop off ticket. I will do this by myself. I have read all the reviews, and they are mixed. What do you say?

P.S. My friend who is not a TA member was most impressed (shocked) that I got such good detailed information and in such a short time.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,699 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me plan my day, please.

I think with summer high season over, you might just have a good experience on the HOHO bus. The biggest problem in high season is waiting at a bus stop to board, the bus being late in coming, the bus being almost full and not having enough available seats for those waiting. End result waiting at the bus stop for 20 minutes for the next bus. I would say that that phenomenon will not be happening in the last half of September. I would look at the Trolley company.

9. Re: Help me plan my day, please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 15:15