We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a vacation, North Vancouver top of list any tips?

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a vacation, North Vancouver top of list any tips?

Hi, We are plannig a trip the last week of August for our 30th anniversary. Not sure where we want to go but for some reason I keep coming back to Vancouver. We have never been to Canada we have always gone to Europe. We love culture, histroy and unique shopping and relaxing. Love mountain and Ocean views. We dont really care for busy tourist in the middle of the city type vacation. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Want to make sure we are looking in the best area (Northern Vancouver) and any suggestions on places to stay. Love B&B and also pampered resort/hotel spa. Thanks! Debbie~

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,247 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a vacation, North Vancouver top of list any tips?

Hi luvtotraveleuro ~

The only hotel I would suggest in North Vancouver would be the Pinnacle Hotel at the Pier. They have fab rooms overlooking the harbour. The Seabus is only about 400-500 metres to get across the harbour.

However, I'm not sure about the terms you are using. There is no Northern Vancouver and North Vancouver is a separate jurisdiction across the harbour from downtown Vancouver, the big smoke, where most of the attractions and activities are located. All the same, that is the only hotel there that I would suggest you have a look at.

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a vacation, North Vancouver top of list any tips?

Here are some B&B's to check out :

bbcanada.com/british_columbia/vancouver_coas…

bbcanada.com/british_columbia/…vancouver

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,359 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a vacation, North Vancouver top of list any tips?

<< downtown Vancouver, the big smoke,>>

Ok, well I would not use that term to describe Vancouver, and in fact, I think you would actually be much happier looking for accommodations in Vancouver's West End, rather than over on the north shore. I would get something as close to Stanley Park as you can. This is very much a residential area, but with a wonderful city vibe, right on the waterfront and easy walking access to restaurants and shops. Vancouver is a walking city and that end of the city is really wonderful. You don't want to be in Coal Harbour or Yaletown, those areas describe what you are trying to avoid, but I think the West End will surprise you.

Alternatively, just get out of the city altogether. If its not a city vacation you are looking for, then head for one of the islands or towards the interior - the Okanagan or the Cariboo ranch country.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a vacation, North Vancouver top of list any tips?

I thought "big smoke" was also quite an odd descriptor for Vancouver, too. I thought that's what people call Toronto. :) Vancouver's a city for people who don't like cities - it's full of nature and wilderness. It's not an industrial city. For people seeking mountain and ocean views, relaxation, etc. you've got it. History is relative - the city was only founded in the 1880's, and while it has a brief colonial history, its native culture and history goes back tens of thousands of years. Experiencing Vancouver, the city, is equally as much about spending a day on the beach, spending a day riding your bike along the seawall, exploring an urban forest, going for a walk through the rainforest and up to the top of a scenic lookout on a mountain... than it is about meandering through residential communities and sipping coffee and cafes, and browsing through its shops.

North Vancouver is a residential suburb city located on the other side of Burrard Inlet from the City of Vancouver. It's one way of experiencing the city, not necessarily the most popular way, but some people love it. Other areas to look at would include West Point Grey, Kitsilano, and possibly even Commercial Drive (especially if little jazz bars and cafes are of any interest) - all of which are leafy residential neighbourhoods in Vancouver with their own unique culture, history, scenery, look and feel.

Edited: 05 May 2014, 19:17
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,247 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a vacation, North Vancouver top of list any tips?

hahahaha. Big smoke means large, busy city. It no longer means industrial London. These folks don't want a large busy city atmosphere which it will be the last week of August. I would go so far as to put off the trip until just after Labour Day as school goes back in the next day, even mid-Sept when things are busy but less hectic. This town is hectic in the summer.

Edited: 05 May 2014, 20:13
Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a vacation, North Vancouver top of list any tips?

Thank Y'all so much for all the awesome advice. Sorry about the (Northern Vancover) MuftiMixandmatch I was thinking North but typing something else. :-) And I have never even heard of "big smoke" well I have heard of it but it means something totally different here glad thats not what it means there! lol I have been struggling about where to go on this vacation but after reading all of the comments I feel even more excited to visit! I wished we could come after Labor day but I work for doctors and I have to take a week during the same time one of them are off, so I was even lucky to get the week just before our anniversary whch is September 1st. Well hoping it will not be to bad during that week. Thanks again and I am off to do more research and planning. Have a wonderful night. Debbie~

7. Re: Planning a vacation, North Vancouver top of list any tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2014, 14:52
8. Re: Planning a vacation, North Vancouver top of list any tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2014, 14:52
Edited: 03 June 2014, 14:52
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,926 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a vacation, North Vancouver top of list any tips?

"known as Lolo"?

Since when?

Sounds like a piece of real estate agent fiction to me.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a vacation, North Vancouver top of list any tips?

It's been known as Lolo for some time actually and the idea is growing and catching on…as the local tourism destination organization we do know this stuff!

Of course the realtors are picking up on it - not fiction - but they are helping to spread the name. Google City of North Vancouver LoLo and see what you get!

Get answers to your questions about North Vancouver