We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tent camping in Osoyoos

GE0RG1E
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Tent camping in Osoyoos

Hi, my boyfriend and I are planning a camping trip for this summer and are looking for some recommendations for places. We would like to be by the lake and really dont want to go without flush toilets and showers, fire pits would be nice as well. We have been looking at "Osoyoos RV, Campground and Waterslides" and wondering if anyone has any feedback on this place? Or if you have any other recommendations on other camgrounds it would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
576 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tent camping in Osoyoos

We have spent many visits at this location, lots of trees and well set up. Lots of kids here so if you want adult privacy this may not be the best location.

http://www.lakeside.bc.ca/

Be forewarned that camping in the summer in the southern interior can be HOT! Temperatures of high 30C/low 40C are not uncommon and can make tenting warmish. Make sure you have lots of trees at your sites to keep the baking sun off of you.

Enjoy your visit.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tent camping in Osoyoos

We tented at the Haynes Point Provincial Park in October last year, and thought it would be a wonderful place to stay in the summer. It is located on a narrow spit of land that extends out into the lake, so all the sites are on the water, and all are well treed - good visual privacy from adjacent sites. (There were some sites set up for two or three units camping together though.) It does have fire pits and flush toilets, however, no showers. It's a very short drive to downtown Osoyoos. Someone recently wrote, in another thread, that it is very popular in summer and difficult to get a site. I don't know if they take reservations.

Mentioned in this post
Haynes Point Provincial Park
Haynes Point Provincial...
134 Reviews
Osoyoos, Canada
Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
748 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tent camping in Osoyoos

Haynes Point is a wonderful campground. They do take reservations. You can book 3 months in advance: https://secure.camis.com/Discovercamping/ Reservations go quickly so book exactly 3 months before you plan to arrive and first thing that morning.

GE0RG1E
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tent camping in Osoyoos

Haynes park looks quite nice as well, do you have any suggestion on which side of the point is best to stay on (i.e. North, East or South)? I've heard it can be quite windy here as well, has anybody else heard or experienced this?

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
748 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tent camping in Osoyoos

I can't help you with that but you likely will have to be happy with what you can get.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tent camping in Osoyoos

Hanes Pt can be very very windy.

I didn't know they had flush toilets! I haven't camped there, I just walk the strip when I vacation in Osoyoos. Where in the campground are they? I don't think there are showers either.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tent camping in Osoyoos

Another site is NK'Mip campsite. They have showers (costs a loonie) and toilets. No fire pits. I wouldn't pick a property based on fire pits. I expect a fire ban to be in place very early this season.

www.campingosoyoos.com/09/index.php?ID=11

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tent camping in Osoyoos

Here is a link to a map of Haynes Point campground …gov.bc.ca/bcparks/…haynes.pdf - the toilets closest to the end of the point (the ones that show wheelchair access) are flush toilets. I don't know about the others but I assume so. We camped in site #20 and were visited each morning by flocks of California quail.

On the park's site: …gov.bc.ca/bcparks/…Location , I found this info: "The campground has flush and pit toilets. Two flush toilets located at the day-use area."

By the way, firewood costs an extra $7 per bundle, over and above the nightly camping fee of $30.

Edited: 11 April 2010, 00:52
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tent camping in Osoyoos

That explains it! The campsites that face south get the morning/early afternoon sun, and the campsites facing north get the afternoon sun, if that helps! The wind changes, often it is a warm wind from the south in the summer. They also get north-west winds.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tent camping in Osoyoos

We just drove through the NK'MIP resort grounds and had a look at the hotel and camping spot. This place looks great. Camping on the lake and then walk up to the winery (and maybe even have a swim in their pool?). On the edge of the pocket desert I used to camp on as a kid. Haynes Point is also good but windy, as mentioned. I'd go for NK'MIP myself!

Get answers to your questions about Osoyoos