We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick trip to USA?

Which Osoyoos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Quick trip to USA?

Hi all

We are planning to stay in Osoyoos next July and doing the touristy bit we are thinking of "nipping" into the US one day for lunch, is this a plan,feasible, where should we go?

Thanks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick trip to USA?

Hi TeejaybeeBristolUK,

Welcome to the OSOYOOS TRAVEL FORUM.

As a citizen of the UK when entering the USA, you will be required to obtain an I-94 visa waiver, as an addition to your passport. To obtain the waiver, you will be photographed, fingerprinted, and pay a fee of $6 US.

The I-94 visa waiver will be attached to your passport, and must be surrendered when you leave the United States.

The I-94 is valid for 90 Days... so if you plan to make several trips in and out of the USA, DO NOT surrend the Waiver until you are making your last exit... overwise you'll have to do the process over again to gain entry.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Best Regards

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick trip to USA?

You can "nip" into the US easily from Osoyoos -- the border is only about 10 minutes drive from the town centre -- as long as you have proper documentation, but there isn't a whole lot to see or do once you cross the border. Oroville Washington is the small, sleepy town at the border but there isn't much going on there. You could drive further south, to Omak (about an hour and a half from Osoyoos). Omakhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omak,_Washington .

I have never been to Omak but I know there's a Wal-Mart there so it must be a fair-sized town :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick trip to USA?

We occasionally drive back to Vancouver from the Okanagan heading through the border at Osoyoos. That takes us down Highway 97 to Highway 20, where we then head west to Winthrop for the night. There is truly nothing much on the way there until you reach Twisp on Highway 20. We've had lunch at Omak - just a standard cafe-type lunch - nothing special. Perhaps if you could give us an idea of the rest of your itinerary, we can think of a more rewarding place for you to nip across the border for lunch.

Edited: 21 July 2010, 01:24
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick trip to USA?

Hi All,

This reminds me of a topic we were recently talking about in one of the Eastern Canada TRAVEL FORUMS…

We too come upon a fair number of Travellers visiting Canada for the first time, and many either drive up from cities on the Eastern Seaboard, or fly into our major cities… and more often than not they say they’d like to explore those areas around the border.

And unfortunately except for gorgeous scenery (name me on Northern US State without breathtaking scenery?) we also have to tell them that in many cases, there just isn’t many towns or cities worthwhile to make a visit to (scant population).

It comes down to this...

Although Canada is a huge landmass… about 90% of our population lives within 100 Miles of the US – Canada Border… while in the USA probably less than 10% do the same… there really is a whole lot of empty in most places after you make your way into the Northern Continental USA.

But then why would they live there? LOL

We have an extreme climate… they have a moderate one… so the majority of their country is quite temperate… so if one had a choice to live anywhere in the USA… between somewhere comfortable and somewhere cold it is only natural that most would opt for warmer over colder and hence you won’t find too many Americans choosing to be huddled up to their northern neighbours year-round.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick trip to USA?

Unless you want to golf the fun little course in Oroville, I can't think of any reason anyone would want to go there! Stay in Osoyoos or take a drive to Hedley and do the mine tour and have lunch or dinner at the Hitching Post. Much better food than anyplace we've eaten in Oroville.

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick trip to USA?

Thanks to all, we have been to the USA many times but only once to Canada so I thnk we will stay North of the border. Whilst we are on the subject is Osoyoos a good place to stop for 3 nights driving back from Calgary to Vancouver. We want to relax for 3 days/nights. Thanks

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick trip to USA?

Yes, Osoyoos is a wonderful spot to stop. It is a wonderful place to base yourself for the wineries. The NKimip Dessert Cultural Centre is very interesting. And the Desert Centre is also fascinating - there full moon walks are unique. You might even be lucky enough to catch a concert at a local winery (Trickle Creek Winery). And if you like watersports & swimming you can keep yourself very busy.

PS When we go to Osoyoos we always nip across the border to have Mexican in Oroville. However, we are there for over a week and do it to just change things up. I would think you are better off to spend your time north of the border.

BC
Level Contributor
2 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick trip to USA?

Trino's restaurant is in Oroville WA if you'd enjoy a Mexican meal. About 15 mins south of Oroville, in Tonasket WA, is Rancho Chico, another Mexican restaurant. Recently opened by the same friendly folks who run Rancho Chico in Omak, WA. Excellent food and very reasonable. Nicer atmosphere than Trino's, which is getting a bit run down.

A beautiful drive is to enter the US at the Nighthawk WA port of entry. It is a smaller port of entry just south of Hwy 3, about 20 mins west of Osoyoos BC. Only open 9 -5, but when you enter the US there, it is a beautiful drive along the Similkameen River down to Oroville.

9. Re: Quick trip to USA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Osoyoos