We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabana Beach Campground in Osoyoos

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Cabana Beach Campground in Osoyoos

First time visitor at this campground. Dirty beach and water. Cramped campsites with sewage in some spots. Owner tried to over charge, need to check your bills with this campground. Campers in site 71 in Tahoe Lite were rude and foul mouthed, but found out that they were friends of owner so complaining did not help (son Matt? at campsite 71 and mother were the worst). Rude and harassing management owner Gary. Long time guests told us that they are treated like awful and interrogated each year they come!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,037 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabana Beach Campground in Osoyoos

Please add a review for the campground in the review section where it can be easily found by anyone looking for information about this campground. This is the most effective way that you can warn other travellers about your bad experience there. As a forum post, it will soon drop out of sight (and the TA forum guidelines state that reviews don't belong in the forums anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised if the TA mods remove both this post and your identical post from yesterday - which is also against the forum guidelines because posting the same thing multiple times is considered spam).

If this campground is not yet listed on the site, here is info in the help section to explain how you can add it:

tripadvisor.ca/help/what_if_i_want_to_review…

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabana Beach Campground in Osoyoos

Hi and thank you for your suggestion. We did rate and review this campground as a 1 out of 10. Can you give advice on how to further complete your suggestion? Some people were getting ill at this campground and it is important to inform young families and such. My wife and I are still not well and are being treated by a physician with antibiotics.

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabana Beach Campground in Osoyoos

rvparkreviews.com/regions/British_Columbia/

Register with them & submit a review here as well.. Also call/email the Osoyoos Visitor's Center with your complaint.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,316 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabana Beach Campground in Osoyoos

TripAdvisor lists and reviews accommodations, restaurants, attractions, and locations but not campsites.

My only observation and perhaps confusion is:

<<Long time guests told us that they are treated like awful and interrogated each year they come!>>

People come back for more of the same?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,037 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabana Beach Campground in Osoyoos

LOL mufti - yes, I wondered about that too.

Campgrounds are included in the review section for my area. under "specialty lodging" - for instance, here is a page for Wapiti Campground: tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g154918-d1756147…

If the Cabana Beach campground is not yet listed on TripAdvisor, the link in my earlier post gives instructions how to get it listed so that you can post a review. I see that you have posted a review under "Osoyoos Lake", however, that is not really the correct location for a review of a particular campground, even if it is on the lake - that would be like putting a review for Wapiti Campground under a listing for "Jasper National Park", or a review of, say, Stanley Park under a listing for "Vancouver".

bchealth, as well as the Osoyoos Visitor Centre/Tourism Board or chamber of commerce, I would suggest contacting the public health office in Osoyoos (or nearby, if there isn't one there - it's may be in Penticton) with your health-related complaints. A complaint, especially with documentation showing that conditions are bad enough to require medical care, will usually trigger an inspection.

Osoyoos, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabana Beach Campground in Osoyoos

Hello I am one of the owners of Cabana Beach Campground. I am concerned about the accuracy of this post because we have no record of any of these problems or complaints from any new customer this summer that has stayed with us. This posting , which I just happened upon , is the first we have heard about any of these supposed deficiencies I request the person who is making these accusations contact me immediately in writing to allow me to check on what is going on. If I may take a guess I wonder if something else going on here? (Perhaps bad feelings between them and the couple mentioned above and they feel they need to draw us in to it?) That couple are not a "personal friends of the owner " by the way - they are customers, just regular campers who seem decent and who like and respect our park, our staff and our facilities, and they are just like all the other customers to us. Regarding someone (a third party who is also not identified) being "interrogated" by Gary the owner, that feels like a red herring, (eg a mysterious complaint that can not be verified but is mentioned for dramatic effect).. All I can possibly guess that is supposed to be is trying to degrade Gary for asking them about visitors. Part of Gary's job which he does each day is to look out for unregistered cars and unregistered visitors during which he sometimes needs to approach people to talk to them about new cars or people he does not recognize. Some new customers are mildly put off by this, but it's not anything to get offended about. The only reason someone might take offence is because they feel they want to have free guests coming and going without telling us, or want to not have to pay for a day pass. Most campers, once they think about it, are understanding and grateful that the park is being checked and looked after for the benefit of the customers who are paying to use the private property and facilities. Gary is not rude, but always calm and polite. Suggestions of illness due to water or sewage is an extremely serious matter, and illness from that has never been an issue for anyone staying here, including ourselves who live here 24/7. This is very wrong to say that happened because of our facility and it is actually unheard of at our park in all the 20 years past. We know this because we have had thousands of campers staying with us this and every summer and no illness has ever been documented to have direcly come from using our facilities. . So again I would like to ask the person making these complaints to identify themeselves rather than posting anonymously to this forum, because the claims of deficiencies are serious. I run the office 7 days a week and (other than one complaint from one person who's neighbor spilled some sewer hose water, which we sent a worker to clean right away) none of the posted complaints were told to me or my staff at the desk all summer. We wish to investigate this person's complaint directly, since we have a right to investigate these complaints before they hurt our business, such as this post seems to be trying to do. .

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,316 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabana Beach Campground in Osoyoos

Personally I have a lot of problems with threads that turn into he said - she said declarations. The truth is impossible to determine, but lies somewhere in between and therefore, of no real value to folks who visit TA. These threads come up now and then and I would heartily like TA to come up with a policy about them.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,037 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabana Beach Campground in Osoyoos

Osoyooslife, welcome to the TripAdvisor forums! Before I continue, I want to mention that just like anyone else posting here on the forums, I am a volunteer (I do not work for TripAdvisor).

One of the problems with anonymous review sites and forums are that it is very easy for people with an agenda other than helping fellow travellers to post false or erroneous information. Malicious reviews and bad mouthing competitors' businesses in the forums is an everyday occurence, and similarly, fake favourable reviews are also a huge problem. So before any reader "buys" into anything they read here or on any other internet site, as always, it's "buyer beware".

When I am researching for my own travels, I usually ignore all extreme reviews and comments - both good and bad - unless the poster has an established profile on the website. There is no "magic number" for contributions for me, but I tend to look at the trend of what people who have been around the site for some time have to say, and if I am leaning heavily on a particular poster's information or opinion, I click on their username and check out some of their other contributions on the site to see how credible they are. Of course, everyone was a first-time poster at one time, but what is telling (imo) is whether, after posting something either highly favourable or unfavourable, a poster continues to use the site. So time will usually tell.... (although I realize that this is little consolation if a business is the target of a malicious review).

Management responses are also an important component because sometimes screw-ups happen, and besides, there is no pleasing people 100% of the time; how problems are responded to can show a lot about an establishment. However, readers should also be aware that listings can be added to the site by users, and management are not notified in any way when they are listed nor when they are discussed in the forums, so while a management response can be illuminating, the *lack* of response does not necessarily mean anything - other than that management doesn't spend their time browsing on TripAdvisor!

Osoyooslife, a similar post to the first one in this thread has been added to the review section under the attraction "Osoyoos Lake". If you go to that review, you will see there is an option for "report problem with review". I would suggest reporting the review (as I have) as being in the wrong location, as well as using the "help centre" links (in the footer at the bottom of the site) to contact TA directly to have the review moved to a listing specifically for your campground. (You can also add your campground listing - again, check the help centre for more information.) Once your campground is listed, you can register as the owner, and then you will be able to post a "management response" to the review, similar to how you have responded here in the forums.

Osoyoos, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabana Beach Campground in Osoyoos

krp329 I appreciate you welcoming me to this forum but I prefer to not have to have entered the forum under the distressing circumstance of the strange posting that caused all this. It is our busiest time of year when we work 8 weeks straight almost day and night with 0 days off, and all we do is work hard as possible to run our business. Suddenly something weird like this creates hours of extra work, eg I was up till 2 am to answer it. I am frustrated and sort of also dismayed how you and other forum members are so quick to tell the poster (who himself appears to be new and has a screen name obviously chosen to match his exact accusations) to report us to the local tourism board and even more extreme to tell him to alert the local health authorities. That is not a joke, it is a serious matter to involve a government or authorities to come and disrupt our business, it affects our employees and creatse stress for us and hundreds of paying customers, for some kind of health investigation. We have always had a good relationship with local health unit and they are familiar with our park, the water system, well , etc and we have a permit to operate. This poster wants to try and hurt our business obviously. Finally I believe that if you or someone you know personally has not stayed at our property yourself I think you have to be pretty confident the complaints are real, not just made yesterday by someone nobody has heard of before, or you should not encourage the bogus troublemaker that seems to have some other agenda. Thank you for the helpful part of your post to me and I will be certainly mentioning Trip Advisor to all our happy customers in case they would like to make an honest rating of our business

10. Re: Cabana Beach Campground in Osoyoos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2011, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Osoyoos