We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown or Lakeshore

uk
Level Contributor
371 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown or Lakeshore

Planning our trip to Okanagan. Is it better to stay downtown Osoyoos or Lakeshore?

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,109 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown or Lakeshore

I bet you imagine Osoyoos to be bigger than it is. This is not much of a downtown. Just a small concentration of services. The focal point is a warm water lake. But the area also has many wineries to visit. Some with accommodation. You could stay on the lake in luxury http://www.watermarkbeachresort.com/ or find nearby modest accommodation (book soon). You could book up the hill for a view http://www.spiritridge.ca/

uk
Level Contributor
371 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown or Lakeshore

Okay thanks. I wondered if there were more restaurants etc. downtown or are there several lakeside too? It is difficult when you are trying to find out lots of information on areas. I do a lot of research to get it "right" if I can. I have also posted another question re towns to stay on our trip but it didn't seem to have appeared. Have re-posted.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,031 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown or Lakeshore

Osoyoos is less than 5,000 people. The restaurant selection is fairly limited and eveything is pretty close together.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,025 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown or Lakeshore

Have a "walk" around Osoyoos to get a better idea of what it's like, with google streetview: http://goo.gl/maps/CmsZw

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,173 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown or Lakeshore

Penticton, 6 hours drive from Vancouver via Hwy 3. 42,000 people. Removed from the "junction" that Kelowna is.

http://www.hellobc.com/penticton.aspx

britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/index.asp…

Kelowna, 4.5 hours from Vancouver via Hwy 5 and 97. Population 117,000. The "intersection city" for points north, south and west, more amenities,

http://www.hellobc.com/kelowna.aspx

britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/index.asp…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown or Lakeshore

Truly, Osoyoos is smaller than you are imagining. The main intersection is Highway 97 (north/south) and Highway 3 (east/west). If, for example, you are travelling south from Kelowna, you would turn left at this intersection and almost immediately find yourself in the 4 - 6 blocks of "downtown". If you then make a right turn and then, shortly afterwards, a left turn, you find yourself on Highway 3 heading east heading out of town. The lakeside hotels tend to be clustered just after the left turn heading out of town. They are not "lakeside resorts" at a distance from one another, but truly "clustered" cheek by jowl (if that the correct phrase/spelling) along the highway. Restaurants along Highway 3 are probably walkable from the lakeside hotels. If you want to go back into the 4 - 6 blocks of "downtown", you can drive, but there is loads of angle parking. You'll be fine.

Edited: 24 March 2013, 00:34
7. Re: Downtown or Lakeshore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2013, 18:40
Edited: 24 March 2013, 18:40
Netherlands
Level Contributor
650 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown or Lakeshore

Lakeshore. Downtown is 2 or 3 streets with shops and nothing much else to do.

Pick the Walnut Beach Resort, can't go wrong!

British Columbia
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown or Lakeshore

If the price at the Watermark Resort is in your budget, you will satisfy both. It is downtown and on the lakeshore. Most rooms are suites, i.e. at least 1 bedroom plus the living room, complete with balcony and either a water or downtown view. I don't know how long you are planning to stay, but I think there is a washer and dryer in each unit as well and underground secure parking. You can use the pool or swim in the lake depending on the time of year. In the same complex as the Watermark is the Gelato shop, a Pilates, TRX, and spinning studio. Across the street is the Owl Pub and two drugstores; Pharmasave and Shoppers, are two or three minute walks away. A a five minute walk will get you a supermarket and the liquor store.

There is even a store nearby for custom made dog clothes, leashes or collars.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Downtown or Lakeshore

We (two seniors and daughter) just did a 5-night stay (early-June) at the Coast .. a beachside hotel on Main Street ... the beach and Osoyoos Lake on one side, and the main drag, other side of Osoyoos Lake, and a short walk to downtown on the other side.

It sure worked for us. Lovely, totally-unobstructed views (with their sights & sounds from balcony -- with the beach, Lake, and ever-changing colours of it, and the surrounding mountains, the sounds of the waves, the many birds (doing their thing!), and etc.) ... and a location so handy to shopping, and all.

I've submitted reviews of our hotel stay, dining out, and winery tours in the area (Osoyoos/Oliver).

Get answers to your questions about Osoyoos