We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desert Surfside Resort

Which Osoyoos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta,Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Desert Surfside Resort

Does anyone have any comments on this vacation rental property? It looks like an old motel that has been converted into suites for weekly vacation rentals.

Any other suggestions for condo rentals?

Osoyoos
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Desert Surfside Resort

Hi,

The condo units you speak of used to be a hotel. It had a home on the lakeshore and about 12 units on 2 floors on a big cement parking lot.

The old house was torn down and a new 4 level condo unit was built - nice views of the lake and balcony's with a North view. the remaining condos are the old hotel refurbished. I believe the uniits were sold as time shares.

The updates have been nice and I'm sure they are clean and a decent price to rent as far as a summer rental for Osoyoos.

Casa Del Lago is the newest weekly/monthly summer condo rental here in Osoyoos. There are about 100 units that are rented out. The location boasts a private beach, pool and clubhouse. These are privately owned and rented, usually in the local paper for between $1200 and $1675 per week between May and Sept.

Are you looking for beachfront ? Kid friendly ? Pet friendly ? A certain price range ? That would narrow your search...

Kelly-Anne

Seattle
Level Contributor
6 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Desert Surfside Resort

We just stayed at the Desert Surfside. We paid $300 a night for a new 2 bedroom condo, overlooking the beach. Overall, I'd say its a nice place. It had its pros and cons.

Pros: Its right on the beach and the balconies of the new condos overlook it. The beach is much nicer than the Holiday Inn Beach! It was sandy, while the Holiday Inn was very pebbly. And not nearly as busy. It's in a convenient location, has plasma tv's, a deep soaker tub and is stocked up with kitchen dishes, etc. There is a BBQ as well. The management provides floaties for the guests to use and even offered us use of their personal raft.

Cons: For $300 a night, I expected to have more than just soap provided. There was no shampoo provided, no coffee packets provided. You have to swap out your own dirty towels, etc at the laundry room during designated hours. The floors were filthy, but everything else was very clean. You have to clean the place before you leave...just not my idea of vacation, personally. The walls are very thin and the condos are pretty small. We had the max of 6 people in there and were tripping over each other.

We spoke to the managers. Apparently the entire "hotel" is now privately owned condos that they rent out when the owners are not using them. The service was good, everyone was friendly. I have a difficult time saying if I'd return there. The beach was really lovely, but I guess for that kind of money, I'd at least like my room cleaned up and towels swapped out for me.

Seattle
Level Contributor
6 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Desert Surfside Resort

OH! One other con: they don't have enough parking for every unit to get a parking spot. =(

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Desert Surfside Resort

For about $175 a night you can get a 2 bedroom unit at Safari Beach Resort, www.safaribeachresort.com. No dishwasher or plasma TV, but a great family location on a sandy beach in a quiet part of Osoyoos.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Desert Surfside Resort

Desert Surfside is a Strata managed and owned property which will protect your standard of holidaying. If there are items they fall short on owners are prepared to add, improve and make available for your next visit.

The plasma TV's and fireplaces in the 2 BDR condo's are a bonus, with patio BBQ's & furniture overlooking the best section of beach in Osoyoos. The property is small (26 units) and personable and one that our golf group will return to annually. Our golf group (24) stayed 5 nights this past Sept. returning each night to the court yard where we pot lucked our meals and socialized as long as we dared with 9:00 am tee-offs. Great spot for groups and off season rates were the best , not to mention all the amenities a group such as ours needed.

Vancouver
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Desert Surfside Resort

Hello; The Desert Surfside is a renovated motel with a new condominium attched on the beach. We stayed there 4 years ago when it was just a motel, and the facility is much nicer and cleaner. I would recommend staying there as we have returned for our summer holiday each year. Although you can swap out your linens at your leisure, the staff were more than accomdating with our requests and needs. Try it out for yourself, and you will end up like us - returning each year!!

Alberta,Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Desert Surfside Resort

Thanks all for your great comments!

The Osoyoos trip didn't happen last summer, but we have it on the agenda for this year so this information will come in handy.

I have also come upon a place called Sole' Vita, which is a new condo complex on the east side of the lake that looks very nice.

Thanks again for your input.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Desert Surfside Resort

I was just about to post a question about the Desert Surfside when I saw this post. We're looking at staying there a week in mid-June and the rates in the shoulder-season are very reasonable (stay 7 nights, pay for 5) compared to other places. We have two boys (8and 4) and are looking for something right on the beach -- seems this Will be our best bet!

9. Re: Desert Surfside Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Osoyoos