We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boating on osoyoos lake

Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Boating on osoyoos lake

Hey, we just launched our boat on osoyoos lake- any suggestions of good spots to search out on the lake or avoid (other than the Haynes Point sandbar, which we found yesterday 😳). We are moored at Walnut Beach.

Thanks.

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boating on osoyoos lake

Seeing as it's Canada Day today July 1st.. Not many of us hanging around. Perhaps ask at Walnut Beach for tips.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,200 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boating on osoyoos lake

I know where you *don't* want to go -- you want to be very careful about that US border. We were told that you can get in a whole mountain of trouble if you accidentally take the boat south of the border.

Osoyoos, Canada
Level Contributor
781 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boating on osoyoos lake

As long as you don't get off your boat and on to dry land, you can boat the whole lake, no problem crossing the border. Nice spot to explore is on the north lake about halfway up on the east side where there is a big sandy area. Nice for a picnic. Tons of boats fishing on the north end so it is kind of crowded. The sockeye run is on.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,765 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boating on osoyoos lake

hi Claudia

these posts were from a while back; it is a good idea to read the date and whether the OP has left already..

ps i have done that more than once, and still catch myself reading old posts without looking at the date, then realize half way through that it no longer needs a response.

5. Re: Boating on osoyoos lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 01:37
Edited: 13 August 2014, 01:37
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,882 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boating on osoyoos lake

Claudia seems to do this frequently.

Pretty certain that the OP hasn't been on the lake for the last 6 weeks.

And no, cbaarch didn't "search for info and read old posts". When you posted on a dormant, out of date thread it came up to the top of the page again.

Osoyoos, Canada
Level Contributor
781 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boating on osoyoos lake

I guess twice is frequent in some worlds. I posted it for the benefits of others who might be wondering. Personally I use the search engine quite often...saves getting snarky comments about not looking for an answer before asking a question.

Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boating on osoyoos lake

Hi Claudia, as the OP, I wanted to say thanks for replying. While our trip is over we will definitely be back to osoyoos lake again, so I appreciate the reply.

The one thing no one seemed to mention when we were asking is Haynes Point sandbar!

The lake level was high that weekend and the sandbar wasn't visible. As someone not familiar with the lake, this became a scary unmarked haazard until we realized what the yellow markers were for (after two boats hit it).

I'm flabbergasted that the sandbar is unmarked considering that osoyoos is such a tourist town.

Otherwise we really enjoyed the town and the quietest part of the lake was in the states, so we hung out there.

Cheers,

ST

9. Re: Boating on osoyoos lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2016, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Osoyoos