We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Read the fine print

Summerland
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Read the fine print

I booked 2 rooms at the Langley Holiday Inn Express online and most places if you book in advance you get a discount, but they will place a hold on the funds on your credit card, which I'm fine with. Holiday Inn actually billed me on my Mastercard for the entire about and I haven't even stayed there yet.

4 replies to this topic
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,690 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Read the fine print

Hi smalltownSummerland;

Looking at their rooms / rates page, respectfully, it is hardly fine print.

In bold print, larger that the rest of the text on the page, it clearly states;

"Advance Purchase"

It then goes on to explain their policy, in the same sized text as the rest of the details;

"Take advantage of special savings when you book early. This rate is nonrefundable, requires full prepayment, and is charged to your credit card between time of booking and day of arrival."

Best Regards

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Read the fine print

I believe you will find that this is a fairly common approach from hotels and is one I have seen on many, many hotel websites.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,474 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Read the fine print

I'm sorry you were taken by surprise about this. That kind of surprise is always a bit painful.

I see this on the reservations page:

"Advance Purchase

Take advantage of special savings when you book early. This rate is nonrefundable, requires full prepayment, and is charged to your credit card between time of booking and day of arrival. "

Each hotel reservation needs to be treated as an individual case, because until you read the Terms and Conditions, you remain unaware of what you are signing up for.

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Read the fine print

Yes, this type of booking is becoming common place. You will see it on many online hotel booking websites. I've also seen similar things with airlines. If you pay more for the air fare you get more points, pay less of a penalty to change dates, etc.

Reply to: Read the fine print
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Langley City