We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay

Elgin, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay

We're comming to Vancouver in Marh next year and had planned to stay in Abbotsford, can anyone reccomend a hotel which is good but will allow us easy access of parts of Vancouver. Or is there somewhere more central for sightseeing etc

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay

Abbotsford is about 1.5 hours from downtown Vancouver by car with no public transit. Not sure why you would stay there unless you're staying with family. Stay downtown. Do not stay in Abbotsford. It's only "central" for getting up to places like Manning Park and Hell's Gate other wise you'll spend half your day commuting.

Also March isn't the greatest month it can be sunny but also be prepared for rain and cool temps. How long are you here for? are yo coming to ski? or???

Elgin, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay

Which would you reccomend as the best months to visit, we're not comming for skiing and don't mind the heat. Are their any particular hotels you would reccomend in Downtown, we'll prob stay 10 nights, we have relatives in Abbotsford but would like to do a lot of sightseeing while we're there. Thanks for the info

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay

Heat isn't an issue in vancouver. I'd say our best months for reliable weather are July, August, September but April and May can be quite nice. If you want the spring then I'd come in May. You could stay a couple of nights with relatives in Abbotsford or do an overnight out there to visit.

Hotels.. well there aer a ton.. depending on your budget I'd look at the hotel reviews on the left side and pick a few that are in your price range then ask for comments.

A good budget hotel in a reasonable loctaion is the Y Hotel

I often recommend the Blue Horizon. it's a mid range hotel in an excellent location. The Sylvia is another great location the hotel is older and isn't to everyone's liking.

Times Square Suites lets you do some of your own meals and again very good location.

Westin Bayshore is a lovely hotel at the higher end and right beside Stanley park.

Downtown vancouver is very compact you could walk from the Y hotel( on Beatty St) to the Bayshore in about 40 minutes max and transit is very good. Also being downtown gives oyu easy access to Grouse Mountain, Lynn Canyon etc.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay

I've always best enjoyed my stays in the Vancouver area in may and /or september, Not too busy, usually nice weather and reasonable hotel prices.

I prefer a hotel downtown, but also stayed in New Westminster and Burnaby.(More or less in between Abbotsford and Vancouver)

Do you have a car during your stay? What kind of price range ar you thinking of for a hotel/apartment?

Elgin, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay

Thanks for the tips,

Wallie we will not have a car, what's the best way to get about and we'd prob look at mid price range, want something nice but not too expensive

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay

If you stay downtown you don't really need a car.

If you want (partly) to prepare your own meals, there are some very good apartment hotels. Traveller47 already mentioned Times Square Suites, which is very nice. Als very good are The Sunset Inn and The Robson Suites.

Times Square Suites is on Robson Street very close to Stanley Park, Robson Suites is just around the corner on Bidwell Street. Across the street from both you'll find a big Safeway supermarket.

The Sunset Inn is on (quiet) Burnaby Street and also has a big supermarket near by on Davie Street.

Elgin, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay

Thanks for the information, its very helpful, will get our flights booked and decide on hotel

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area to stay

Forgot to mention: For sightseeing the hop-on-hop-off bus is perfect.

http://www.bigbus.ca

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area to stay

Also for sight seeing and generally getting around there's very good bus service in Vancouver. No car required.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,653 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area to stay

Weather here is so variable and changeable, there is no one month that is guaranteed. I would say September would have the greatest chance of providing good stable weather, but July and August are usually good too.

Staying in Abbotsford would be detrimental to sightseeing in Vancouver. Greyhound would be your only option into the city and that would be a 2 hour journey one way.

Hotel prices in Vancouver in summer usually shock the visitor. Reasonable can mean approx $175-200 a night. You will likely find prices lower before May 1 and after the end of September. The Blue Horizon for example charges summer rates from May 1 right until Sept 30th.

The YWCA Hotel http://www.ywcahotel.com/ will give you a good, fairly central location with very good rates. They offer a variety of room and bathroom options. Good reputation. Good value.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154943-d182556…

Times Square Suites will give you good value at a higher level with better ambiance and better options outside the door. You really cannot go wrong here.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154943-d314901…

The Blue Horizon has larger rooms and is older. It's on Robson St with very easy access to shops, cafes and restaurants. Equidistant to Stanley Park, Granville Island, Gastown/Chinatown and the Seabus to North Vancouver. Good value.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154943-d182513…

Public transit is easy and convenient, often with a couple of choices of busses to take. You can walk from one end of downtown to the other in 40 minutes or so.

Sorry, I disagree with the HOHO service in high season. The lineups at bus stops are long and when the bus or trolley arrives, every 20 or 30 min, there are usually not enough seats for everybody waiting at the curb. Standees not permitted. In high season the staff are summer hires and not necessarily well trained or knowledgeable. 40% of the stops are at the front door of hotels which are necessary but not Vancouver highlights. We have Big Bus and Vancouver Trolley. Please read the reviews carefully. You would be just fine getting around with either walking or day passes that apply to bus, Skytrain and Seabus services, as one system.