We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff Canmore Advise

San Jose, California
9 posts
Save Topic
Banff Canmore Advise

I am travelling to the Banff Canmore area Aug 19-26.

This is our very first trip to the area and I have always dreamed of seeing this beautiful place.

We are staying at the Lodge at Canmore. Is that a good place?

We plan to golf, canoe/kayak, hike and sight see. Need advise on that. Also need advise on restaurants and pub/bars. We like to play pool/billiards. Thanks

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banff Canmore Advise

>>>We are staying at the Lodge at Canmore. Is that a good place?<<<

Sorry, have never heard of it.

>>>We plan to golf<<<

I'm not a golfer, but I do know you can golf in Kananaskis Country and at the Banff Springs Hotel in Banff.

>>>canoe/kayak<<<

We have our own canoe. So far we've used it only on lakes. This summer my husband and his cousin were going to use it on the Bow River between Castle Mountain and Banff townsite. I was going to drop them off at their starting point and pick them up at their destination.

I did quite a bit of research on that route. My research uncovered the fact that they could have canoed from Lake Louise to Castle Junction, from Castle Junction to Banff, or from Banff to Canmore.

However, my husband sustained an injury that, although it was relatively minor, has meant that we've had to postpone this plan till next summer.

Anyway our suspended plans do raise a point about river canoeing or kayaking, and that is that you need someone to collect you at your end point and drive you back. Obviously canoeing on a lake enables you to return to your starting point without assistance. (When it comes to lake canoeing, I'm fond of Moraine Lake, where there are canoes for rent on a casual basis.)

Here's a company called Canmore Rafting Centre that rents canoes and kayaks. Since their main business appears to be white water rafting tours, I imagine they offer a pick up service as well. I don't know them from experience. I just found them on the Internet:

http://www.canmoreraftingcentre.com/home.htm

Actually here's a web site that lists a whole bunch of companies:

discovertherockies.com/ToursActivitiesAdvent…

>>>hike<<<

Oh boy, there are so many good hikes in the Rockies, it's hard to know where to begin.

Popular half-day hikes include Plain of Six Glaciers and Lake Agnes Teahouse (both departing from Lake Louise) and Larch Valley (departing from Moraine Lake).

>>>sight see<<<

This thread provides a suggested "Top 10 List."

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154910-i220-k2230…

>>>need advise on restaurants and pub/bars<<<

This topic is not my forte. However, I do know that the Grizzly Paw Restaurant / Pub in Canmore has a pool table. When the weather is good, it's nice to sit outside on the patio.

In Banff I like Melissa's Restaurant.

San Jose, California
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Banff Canmore Advise

Thank you Judy

I really appreciate all the advise.

San Jose, California
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Banff Canmore Advise

Judy

I have printed your top 10 list and will be trying to hit all of it.

I have 2 other questions.

1. should I buy my groceries in Calgary before I get to Canmore? I thought it might be a bit higher priced in Canmore since it is a tourist area. If you know of a good supermarket chain, let me know. We arrive at 4:30 pm and need to get the car, so it will be around 530pm or so by the time we start making our way out of Calgary.

2. I have 1 or 2 days to spend in Calgary.

Besides Drumheller do you have some suggestions for what not to miss in or close to Calgary?

Thanks,

Andrea

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banff Canmore Advise

>>>should I buy my groceries in Calgary before I get to Canmore? I thought it might be a bit higher priced in Canmore since it is a tourist area<<<

I don't know whether or not the prices in Calgary are substantially lower than those in Canmore. Given that you'll arrive in Calgary relatively late, I don't know that it would be worth your while to linger here, shopping, for the sake of saving a few cents here and there.

Canmore's grocery selection and prices are better than those in Banff and Jasper, and HEAPS better than those in Lake Louise. Although Canmore does have its tourist element, it's outside of the national parks. Consequently it's a "real" town with "real" people living in it, if you know what I mean.

>>>If you know of a good supermarket chain, let me know.<<<

Canmore has two large supermarkets : Safeway and Sobeys. Of the two, Safeway has the bigger selection, I think.

>>>We arrive at 4:30 pm and need to get the car, so it will be around 530pm or so by the time we start making our way out of Calgary.<<<

If that's the case, you'll catch the rush hour, and it would be better to avoid 16th Avenue North / TransCanada Highway for the purposes of getting out of Calgary. You would be better off driving on Country Hills Boulevard and Stoney Trail, and then picking up the TransCanada Highway (Hwy #1) near Calgary's western city limits. To see how to do that, you can go to this page of my web site:

…msn.com/CalgaryandCanadianRockiesTravelTips…

>>>I have 1 or 2 days to spend in Calgary. Besides Drumheller do you have some suggestions for what not to miss in or close to Calgary?<<<

Here is the Calgary page of my web site:

You might like to follow the link to the page called "Downtown Walk" to find my suggested half-day walking itinerary.

An activity that is not on my web site, but that you may enjoy, is riding the luge at Canada Olympic Park, just off the TransCanada Highway, near Calgary's western city limits. I have not done that myself, but people tell me it's fun. Here's the relevant page of their web site:

canadaolympicpark.ca/activities/icehouse.asp

It sounds as if your 1 or 2 days in Calgary will be at the end of your trip. If that is the case, you could consider returning to Calgary by a longer but more scenic and interesting route through Kananaskis Country, as described on this page of my web site:

If you read only one thing on my web site, I suggest the WHAT TO PACK page:

Hope that helps.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Banff Canmore Advise

Lodge at Canmore? I found one page that says the condominiums were built in 2003 in a quiet residential area, walking distance to the town center. Features include vaulted ceilings and spacious balconies overlooking the mountains (it's hard not to in Canmore). Kitchen includes dishwasher and washer/dryer; living room has a gas fireplace. Underground parking, seasonal swimming pool, a fitness center and outdoor hot tub. Sounds good to me.

westcanadatours.com/skiing/ski_info4_2.html

San Jose, California
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Banff Canmore Advise

Judy and ABTraveller, Thank you !!

Judy....You should get paid for this!!!!

I am soooo excited to get there and do and see all this stuff.

I have 3 more days to go, so if I have more questions I will let you know!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Banff Canmore Advise

Try food at "Crazy Weed" on the main street in Canmore, they make the best sandwiches, soups etc..Enjoy!

San Jose, California
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Banff Canmore Advise

Thank you Sun Lover.

I hear it got cold there this week, especially yesterday!!!

Weekend looks nice.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Banff Canmore Advise

It has been really cold & wet but already starting to change,the forecast is really good for the weekend.

Enjoy your trip. Once again do try Crazy Weed they make theri owm bread, soups, everything.

alberta canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Banff Canmore Advise

Yes a big thumbs up on Crazy Weed, but they HAVE to expand.The place is way too small but the soups and sands(lambwich) are fantastic.