We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canmore Folk Festival

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
127 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Canmore Folk Festival

Looks like we'll be in Canmore during the folk festival this summer. Will tickets sell out (i.e. do we need to buy in advance or can we buy at the door)? We'd probably be attending Saturday night. Also it looks like from pictures that people bring their own chairs to sit on. Is this the case or is seating available at the festival? Not too crazy about sitting on the ground. Are there often street entertainers around during the festival so as to hear some music without actually attending the festival? Thanks for any info; I like to know in advance what to expect.

on the road
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Canmore Folk Festival

yes, best to buy before if possible. Also, if you're not into sitting on the ground, you'll have to bring your own seats. Please keep in mind that there will likely be other people seated behind you, so those low beach chairs are ideal. Street performers are not usually part of the scene - it's pretty much limited to the park. Keep an eye out on the weather forecast so you can plan your attire. Last year, we sold a LOT of cheap rain ponchos when the skies opened up. Other than that, get ready to enjoy yourself in a beautiful setting.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,032 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canmore Folk Festival

I can't answer all your questions, but I can help with a few.

The Canmore Folk Festival is very popular; I would recommend buying tickets in advance.

I don't believe chairs are provided; they suggest that you bring your own, and I know that is customary at the Calgary Folk Festival. I believe a *small* (6' x 8' max) tarp is also highly recommended - it can protect you from muddy ground, grass stains, ants, etc. Furthermore, if you want to get the best spots (right in front of the stage) at Canmore, you have to bring "festival chairs", which are low camp chairs with legs less than 8" high: canmorefolkfestival.com/CFMF/About_Etiquette…

The Calgary Folk Festival has a similar setup; their suggestion is "if you can roll a basketball under it, it's not a festival chair". There are seating areas for regular folding chairs (see map here: canmorefolkfestival.com/CFMF/About_Location.… ) but they aren't in the prime spots right by the stage.

The Calgary Folk Festival sells festival chairs on site; it might be worth contacting the folks in Canmore to see if they do the same thing.

Victoria
Level Contributor
64 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canmore Folk Festival

You can sit outside the fenced perimeter of Centennail Park and still hear the music. You won't see the acts, but you will hear them.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
127 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canmore Folk Festival

Thanks for all the info.

5. Re: Canmore Folk Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2010, 06:31
Get answers to your questions about Canmore