We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting married in Canmore

Saskatoon
1 post
Save Topic
Getting married in Canmore

Hi! My fiancee and I are getting married in Canmore this July 11th and are spending a week in the Rockies for our honeymoon. It's going to be a tiny ceremony (just the two of us.) Can anyone suggest some places or events not to miss while we're there? Thanks!

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting married in Canmore

Hello Carleen,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Do you want to be based in Canmore for the full week? If so, I suggest the following:

* Moraine Lake and Lake Louise at the west end of Banff National Park (about 70 minutes' drive from Canmore)

* Takakkaw Falls and Emerald Lake in Yoho National Park (about half an hour further west than Lake Louise)

* Johnston Canyon (about 40 minutes west of Canmore)

* Banff townsite (15-20 minutes west of Canmore)

* Sulphur Mountain gondola, on the outskirts of Banff townsite

* Kananaskis Country, east and south of Canmore (the drive through the Highwood Pass is really beautiful)

* the Calgary Stampede (July 7 - 16, 2006)

http://calgarystampede.com/

* cruise across Lake Minnwanka, just outside of Banff townsite

* NUMEROUS hikes in Kananaskis Country and in the mountain national parks

If you were willing to spend 2 or 3 nights in Jasper, that would be really cool. There you could see Maligne Canyon, Maligne Lake (with optional cruise to Spirit Island), drive to Mount Edith Cavell, see Angel Glacier, do the Angel Glacier / Cavell Meadows hike if you wished, take the tramway up Whistlers Mountain.

If you don't want to stay in Jasper, you could drive up the Icefields Parkway as if you were going to Jasper. In a day's drive that involved returning to Canmore the same evening, you should be able to get as far as Sunwapta Falls, and you'd be able to see Peyto Lake and the Columbia Icefields on the way. People speak very highly of the guided walk onto the Athabasca Glacier, which is part of the Columbia Icefields, although I myself have only been onto the glacier by riding the Snocoach. The Icefields Parkway (Hwy #93) is very scenic and I would call it a "must do."

Hope that helps.

2. Re: Getting married in Canmore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2010, 17:14
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting married in Canmore

Hey Carleen!

Everything Judy and k-countryfan suggested are great things to see and do. IMO, if you've never been to the Banff area, the 2 things you absolutely should not miss are Lake Louise/Moraine Lake and the Banff Gondola. At Moraine Lake, make sure to walk up the Rockpile to get the most fantastic view.

Do you collect Airmiles? If so, use them to get your tickets to the Banff Gondola ahead of time. It's only 90 Airmiles per ticket as opposed to $22/person AND (as we discovered this past summer), you don't have to wait through the big long lineup to buy a ticket once you get there. You just go straight to the gondola boarding area.

You can also use your Airmiles to get tickets for the Columbia Icefields - about 1 1/2 hours from the Banff townsite on the Icefields Parkway. It's quite a thrilling experience to walk on the Athabasca Glacier.

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals and all the best for a wonderful honeymoon!

Upper Marlboro, MD
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting married in Canmore

Hi All

Congrats to you Carleen on your upcoming nuptials. My husband and I will be in the Canmore/Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper area for a week this August and am hoping to see as much as possible. We are in Canmore 3 nites and Jasper 3 nites. We're looking at some 1/2 day to full day tours - www.greatdivide.ca

I see that someone mentions using air miles for the Banff Goldola and Columbia Icefield tour. Are these miles from a specific airline? Can you elaborate a little more.

Also, if someone could recommend dining in the area that would be great. We're down home folks and we'd like to go somewhere local folks enjoy with good food.

Get answers to your questions about Canmore