We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing Vacation - Stay in Canmore?

Outer Banks, NC
4 posts
Save Topic
Skiing Vacation - Stay in Canmore?

Planning a downhill skiing vacation with teens Jan 07. Would you recommend staying in Canmore? Need a 2-bedroom condo and some are available there. Should we rent a car? How are the resorts - expert (teens) and intermediate/beginner (parents) skiers. Thanks!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,809 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing Vacation - Stay in Canmore?

Hi OBX,

From Canmore, you will have the choice of skiing at three major resorts - Mt. Norquay, Sunshine Village and Lake Louise. I'm sure if you google, you will be able to find them on the web, complete with trail maps, and you will see that there will be good skiing for everyone in your group!

By the way, I visited your part of the world a couple of years ago - what a beautiful spot!

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing Vacation - Stay in Canmore?

OBXTRAVELER, I've read on this forum, but don't know from personal experience, that Canmore has fewer shuttle buses to the ski slopes than Banff townsite has. If you'll have a car it won't make a significant difference, as Canmore is only about 15 minutes from Banff townsite.

Further to what krp329 said about skiing the three different hills, you can buy the Tri-area Lift Ticket that gives you access to all of them:

http://www.skibig3.com/

If you want a two-bedroom condo, you could consider Mystic Springs in Canmore. Alternatively you could consider Banff townsite. Two options there are Hidden Ridge Resort and Douglas Fir Resort. They are close to each other, on the outskirts of the town.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing Vacation - Stay in Canmore?

You can also ski Nakiska (developed for the'88 winter olympics)--a nice, easy access, family oriented ski hill. Not as spectacular as Sunshine, but still good. Nakiska is about a 25 minute drive from Canmore, located in Kananaskis. www.skinakiska.com

We stay in Canmore by choice when we are away for the weekend. It is a very good alternative to Banff. There are a number of good restaurants and two larger grocery stores (teens!)--Safeway and IGA/Sobeys. Downtown is a nice walk, with some interesting shops--not nearly as many as Banff, however. Canmore has grown immensely in the past 10 years and has pretty much every amenity, plus you are still easy access to Banff.

A car is probably a good idea--there is lot to explore outside of skiing!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing Vacation - Stay in Canmore?

love2vacation, I'm curious - are there shuttles from Canmore to Kananaskis?

Canada
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing Vacation - Stay in Canmore?

Not sure about the Canmore-K-country shuttle. I found one @ $165/each way for three people, but that seems a little high for a 25 minute drive.

Judy????

6. Re: Skiing Vacation - Stay in Canmore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2006, 22:40
Minneapolis, MN
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiing Vacation - Stay in Canmore?

Canmore is a great place to stay with any easy drive to all the ski mountains. It also is really charming with great restaurants. I really agree with the above posters - you want to rent a car (we rent an SUV when we go every Jan/Feb). I also agree that a condo is the best option (vs. a hotel) because there will be days you won't want to ski (too cold, a little sore from the previous day). There are a couple of options with regards to condos - you can rent from the condo itself or rent from the owners directy. We have done both and I would recommend the latter. The owners we rent from really love their vacation home - it is beautifully decorated and was priced far below the cost of renting directly from the condo itself. No matter what you do - you will have an awesome vacation! We are going in February and I can't wait! Feel free to email if you need any other suggestions

Minneapolis, MN
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Skiing Vacation - Stay in Canmore?

Sorry - I forgot to put my email in case you wish to email about Canmore/Banff - I love it there: kerrin_bouressa@hotmail.com

Canmore is a great place to stay with any easy drive to all the ski mountains. It also is really charming with great restaurants. I really agree with the above posters - you want to rent a car (we rent an SUV when we go every Jan/Feb). I also agree that a condo is the best option (vs. a hotel) because there will be days you won't want to ski (too cold, a little sore from the previous day). There are a couple of options with regards to condos - you can rent from the condo itself or rent from the owners directy. We have done both and I would recommend the latter. The owners we rent from really love their vacation home - it is beautifully decorated and was priced far below the cost of renting directly from the condo itself. No matter what you do - you will have an awesome vacation! We are going in February and I can't wait! Feel free to email if you need any other suggestions

canmore
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Skiing Vacation - Stay in Canmore?

Im a canmore local, born and raised, and I'd definetely recommend staying in canmore!!! You'll have to rent a car but you'll save more money in the end!

10. Re: Skiing Vacation - Stay in Canmore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 14:18