We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flood conditions

Which Canmore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Flood conditions

Any advice to cancel or not cancel plans to travel from Chicago next week? Are things devastated or open?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,207 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flood conditions

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154913-i285-k6609…

Minnesota
Level Contributor
331 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flood conditions

Were the restaurants and shops in downtown damaged in the flood?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flood conditions

I am not in Canmore, but my understanding is that no, the downtown area was not affected. My daughter lives there and works in a downtown restaurant and she has been working over the past several days. However, at this point, all roads into Canmore are still closed; however, since highway #1 is a major Canadian transport route, they are working around the clock to get the washed out sections repaired and the highway open again.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flood conditions

We have had a Canadian Rockies trip planned now for almost a year, beginning July 26. Our reservations for the first half of the trip are at the StoneRidge Mountain Resort in Canmore. I understand it is currently closed because of the flood, but is supposed to reopen this weekend. My heart goes out to the citizens of Canmore and hope recovery is quick. However, we have saved our money for this vacation for quite some time and do not want to stay in Canmore if inadvisable. My question is: Even though we are not due to arrive in Canmore until July 26, do you think we should cancel our reservations in Canmore and try to find something in Banff or another nearby city/town?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flood conditions

Canmore is a beautiful town, and a month from now you'll barely notice anything even happened. (Well, unless you go past Cougar Creek!) Restaurants etc. should be functioning as usual, and I'd expect the two side roads heading south (going deeper into the mountains) should be open by then as well.

I would go.

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flood conditions

I'm not currently in Canmore, but just got off the phone with Canmore Tourism (which is located downtown)

The current status is that the traffic on the Trans Canada is running slow because of the on going work, but you can get into Canmore and it is OPEN for business. There were some business buildings that flooding along Bow Valley Trail, but most places are up and running as usual.

You will be able to come an enjoy your holiday:)

I should add that you can take a look for yourself around some parts of town on the Canmore webcams, here is the link:

http://www.canmorealberta.com/webcams/

As you can see downtown is dry and active:)

Cheers

Edited: 28 June 2013, 17:27
Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flood conditions

If there was any doubt about coming to the Canmore area this is some great video footage shot just one week after the flooding. It shows just how quickly people have been able to bounce back and get out to enjoy the town again. So nice to see:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3veF3p0KlCw

Edited: 28 June 2013, 19:05
Shreveport...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Flood conditions

Thank you very much. We certainly did not want to have to change locations at this late date. I really appreciate your responding to my question.

Shreveport...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Flood conditions

Thank you for the link to the live webcam. Seeing the current photos really helped relieve our anxiety about staying in Canmore.

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flood conditions

Your welcome, enjoy your visit:)

Get answers to your questions about Canmore
Recent Conversations