We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus/Train Service

ENGLAND
6 posts
Save Topic
Bus/Train Service

I wondered if someone could help. I am going to Midland ON for a wedding in Sept. I'm not keen on driving and wondered what the bus/train service was like from Toronto. I cant seem to find much information around myself

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,513 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus/Train Service

Hi GRIFFYUK;

There is no train service to Midland.

The nearest bus stop that I could find is approx. 16 miles / 26 km east of Midland, in Coldwater Ontario.

www.greyhound.ca

Services at Coldwater are limited, so you will need to pre-purchase your return ticket. From Coldwater, you would need to take a taxi to Midland. Hopefully some who know the area & services available will be able to advise you further.

This is an area of the province that is best accessed by car, if possible.

Best Regards

ENGLAND
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus/Train Service

Thanks for your help.......is it a fairly easy drive from Toronto to Midland? Sorry but never driven left hand drive before which is why I am unsure of car hire.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus/Train Service

It’s really hard to know how you will react. Based on my own driving in the UK and the experience of others, some people adapt easily to sitting on the wrong side of the car, driving on the wrong side of the road. Personally, I find it stressful, but I do it, even to the point of once driving into London to drop the car at King’s Cross.

One advantage you’ll have is that the car will have an automatic gear box, so you won’t have to worry about shifting gears with the wrong hand. A disadvantage is that Ontario drivers are, on average, poorer drivers than UK ones. So, expect dumb, unexpected moves.

I have always found driving out of Pearson Airport quite hairy. You are in a strange car, there is heavy traffic and complicated interchanges. If you survive the first 10 km and get on to highway 400 north (the 400 series highways are equivalent to the M highways in the UK), you’ll be fine. You’ll have 100km of straight motorway driving - just stay in the right hand lane at maybe 5 to 10 km over the speed limit, and let the idiots race pass you on the left. The last 25 km will be on the equivalent of an A road. It’s mostly rural and you should be comfortable enough by then to handle it.

Penetanguishene...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus/Train Service

Hi Griffyuk....there IS service to Midland by bus. Getaway Coach Lines took over that route from Greyhound back in April. And the connection in Barrie is within 10 minutes. The schedule is as follows:

Depart Toronto - 8:00 am, arrive Barrie 9:30 (service is with Greyhound), depart Barrie (Getaway Coach Lines) at 9:40 arrive Midland 10:40. There is a later bus departing Toronto 1615, arrive Barrie 1800, depart Barrie 1820, arrive Midland 1920. The fare is $38.70 (HST included).

Hope this helps.

AG

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,513 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus/Train Service

Thanks for the new info, AG !

ENGLAND
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus/Train Service

Thank you for that info! i shall look it up.

Claire

ENGLAND
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus/Train Service

I have decided to hire a car so will let you all know how I get on when I return. Trying to book buses was even more stressful!

Thanks very much

8. Re: Bus/Train Service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2011, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Midland
Recent Conversations