We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit

Which Collingwood hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vaughan, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit

Hi!,

We were very keen to make a trip to the blue mountains as one has heard so much about it. we were late in getting our family day bookings in place and so now are debating between the 23 feb weekend and end March weekend. What would you suggest?

We have never tried skiing but wanted to experience the snow and sights besides giving the winter sports a try. The blue mountain people offer only a minimum 2 night stay as of now unless you check in sunday to thursday..so we are still thinking and would welcome any advice.

We are driving down from Vaughan..

Thank you

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit

I'd pick the Feb 23 weekend, when you can be fairly confident you'll have true winter conditions. By the end of March you might get warm weather or rain which would reduce the quality of the skiing or even close the slopes.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
428 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit

I agree with the previous poster for Feb. 23. You'll have a much better chance of good snowy conditions.

The other consideration is that March 31 is Easter (Good Friday March 29). The busiest day I've ever seen at Blue Mountain was the last time Good Friday fell in March. The hills, parking lot, and village were packed! Not ideal conditions for trying skiing for the first time.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,790 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit

And I agree too..........pick the February 23rd weekend...by the end of March the snow could easily be gone.......enjoy your ski trip!....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit

Feb 23 is a much better choice for quality of skiing, end of March there is risk that skiing could be done for the season.....

Vaughan, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit

Thank you everyone...need to plan better the next time ... will try for Feb!

Geetanjali

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,790 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit

You're welcome...........I hope it works out for you...

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit

OK having read TorontoKimmer's response I understand the OP's conundrum better... you missed the February long weekend, so you're tempted to wait for the Easter long weekend, because accommodations are available at a 2-night minimum and a regular weekend would not allow you to use that to ski for 3 days.

Still, go the Feb 23rd weekend. Drive up Friday and stay Friday evening and Saturday nights if you have a 2-night minimum, that way you can get a full day of skiing in on Saturday, starting early before it gets crowded. Who knows how much of the day you'd miss if you had to drive all the way to Blue Mountain, check into your room, etc on Saturday morning before skiing.

Collingwood, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit

Agree that Feb date is a better choice for good winter weather. For information about local Blue Mountain weather, snow conditions and road conditions for driving there visit this site.

http://www.weathercollingwood.com

For lots of accommodation options in the area, visit this site.

http://www.visitsouthgeorgianbay.ca

Have fun!

9. Re: Best time to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Collingwood
Recent Conversations