We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK visitor - what can we do whilst I am in the area ?

Which Bancroft hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
UK visitor - what can we do whilst I am in the area ?

Coming to Benoir Lake nr Bancroft on 30th July. Party of 10 (5 adults and 5 children) from UK.

Any ideas on things to do, places to go, places to eat, deals, tips, suggestions, bear avoidance etc etc very welcome.

Many thanks in anticipation.

bancraft
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: UK visitor - what can we do whilst I am in the area ?

july 30 is a big weekend here in bancroft. The chamber of commerce hosts a 4 day event called the Gemboree. it is attended by people from all over the world that have an interest in rocks, minerals and mining. it does include a large exhibition of stone carving.

there is also an arts & craft show july 30th in millenium park. we are exhibitors in that show (Furlan's Furniture & Crafts).

we did have a 400 lb bear walking down our driveway about month ago. they tend to avoid people unless they catch the scent of food or garbage. it is not likely you will see one unless it is early, early morning or late evening. as you drive along the roads, keep your eyes peeled along the roadside and into the bush as you have a good chance of seeing deer, or if you are real lucky, even a moose or elk.

for more info, you can contact the Bancroft & District Chamber of Commerce (of which I am treasurer) through their web site.

Ontario
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: UK visitor - what can we do whilst I am in the area ?

Hi... I live near the area of Benoir Lake. A visitors center near the entrance to Algonquin Provincial Park which is about 45 minutes from where you'll be staying follow the road you'll be on which is Elephant Lake Road, it turns into something called The Peterson Rd. and will come out in the little village north of you called Maynooth. Turn left in Maynooth and it will take you to the park and it's visitors center. I advise you take a picnic lunch along since you have kids, there are picnic tables available outside the center. There is a restaurant at the visitors centre but if I recall you don't get much for your dollar or pound as it were. Plus sometimes there are a lot of tour buses and you'd have to wait in line for food. If I recall, last time I was there you have to go inside to get a parking permit which is inexpensive prior to taking the tour of the buidling. It's a museum like setting of information and large animals on display (taxidermy) such as moose, wolves, beaver and some small animals and live fish native to our area. There is also a theatre that has a short film that is worth watching.... also a lookout area onto a vast marshland and a gift shop.

Staying at Benoir you'll be about a 1/2 hour from Bancroft and the same from a town called Haliburton. Wilberforce is about 20 minutes from you, where there is a grocery store, liquor store and chartered bank with an ATM machine. There is also a public beach and dock south of Wilberforce about 3 minutes on County Road 648 with change area a great place to spend an afternoon if you don't have a beach where you'll be staying.

There's a good Chinese Restaurant IN Haliburton on 118 toward West Guilford. In Bancroft there's a restaurant called Vito's with mostly Italian fare. We've found both great for familes. They aren't fancy but have good food.

As for bear. There are some around. Mostly they congregate at the municipal dumps and are somewhat of a concern in those areas. You'll be about a 10-15 minute car drive from a dump so you should be safe. I've lived here for 45 years and haven't had any dangerous encounters.

Hope this has helped a little.

g.

3. Re: UK visitor - what can we do whilst I am in the area ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Bancroft