We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants within walking distance of Marine Atlantic ferry

Which North Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,921 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants within walking distance of Marine Atlantic ferry

We've taking the overnight ferry from North Sydney to Port-aux-Basques. Since we have to check in at least two hours prior to departure, it's been suggested that we check in earlier, and walk to a restaurant for dinner before returning to board the ferry.

Do you have any recommendations of places to have dinner that would be walkable (and enjoyable?)

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,046 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants within walking distance of Marine Atlantic ferry

All I can help you with is this page showing some places on a map:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/RestaurantSearch?geo=181763&pid=&q=North+Sydney%2C+Nova+Scotia%2C+Canada&cat=&src=

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants within walking distance of Marine Atlantic ferry

I remember walking across the parking lot and there was a chinese restaurant nearby that I ate at. Was pretty average food.

(you are talking about on the NS side, right?)

On the North Sydney side, there isn't anywhere you can walk to, so fill up before you get there.

There is a restaurant on the boat. the food isn't bad.... so if you get stuck, you can eat on board.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants within walking distance of Marine Atlantic ferry

Sorry, I meant to say 'On the Port Aux Basque side, there isn't anywhere you can walk to, so fill up before you get there'.

The chinese food place I walked to was on the North Sydney, N.S. side of the ferry, across the parking lot.

Havertown...
Level Contributor
8 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants within walking distance of Marine Atlantic ferry

Try Rollie's wharf on the North Sydney side.

We took the overnight ferry in early August from North Sydney, Nova Scotia to Argentia, Newfoundland. We were pleasantly surprised to find the vessel was like a striped down, small cruise ship with a lounge, snack bar, gift shop, TV room, etc. Our accommodations were better than anticipated with comfortable beds, individual climate control, just enough room to maneuver, and enough space for our belongings. The bathroom was larger than the overnight trains we have been on. We slept like babies in the very soundproof room. Here are a couple of tips that may help future passengers:

•There is a nice water side restaurant near the ferry on the North Sydney side - Rollie's Wharf. We had lunch (lobster rolls, of course) and watched the ship traffic over a glass of wine. I didn't visit the ferry terminal snack bar, but I'm guessing this restaurant was a better choice.

•Ferry time is like island time. It takes a good 2 hours to load the cars and trucks onto the ferry. About half of the vessel - 5 decks - are vehicle decks. Many, many of these are tractor trailers where only the trailer is loaded. There are also a lot of RVs and these all have to be balanced with the cars so the ferry sails smoothly. I imagine that this is one on the major means of getting goods to and from Newfoundland. When you realize the enormity of this operation you better understand the time it takes so just get there at the time Marine Atlantic requests, turn off your engine, open your windows, and take out a book.

•book a berth early to get an outside cabin

•there is a tablecloth restaurant on board (at least on the ferry we took - the Atlantic Vision) complete with a wine list

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants within walking distance of Marine Atlantic ferry

We just took the ferry a couple of weeks ago, and walked across the parking lot for something to eat.

There is a Tim Horton's & a Subway close by. Also, I went back to the chinese food place, but decided not to eat there. Instead, there was a bistro that we ate at, that served gluten-free pasta and it was delicious! We have the maple curry chicken pasta, and it was fantastic!

www.blackspoonbistro.com/Dinner-Menu.html

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
20 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants within walking distance of Marine Atlantic ferry

Definately try the Black Spoon Bistro, you will not be disappointed and it is within walking distance of the ferry terminal. About 2 blocks away.

Reply to: Restaurants within walking distance of Marine Atlantic ferry
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about North Sydney