We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sidney or Victoria

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Sidney or Victoria

We are travelling to Vancouver Island and staying at various places for a few nights. We arrive in Swartz Bay and wondered if we should stay 2 nights in Sidney or Victoria. We have 2 children aged 9 & 11 and are hoping to do whale watching tour and to at least visit Victoria and possibly San Juan islands. I'd be interested in pros and cons or recommendations. Thanks.

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sidney or Victoria

Sidney is a 20 minute drive from Victoria so I'd just stay in Victoria, somewhere near the Inner Harbour. It's close to most of the major attractions and the whale watching companies.

Canada's islands are the Gulf Islands, the San Juan's are American. I don't think you'd have enough time to see them since you're only staying two nights unless you're travelling elsewhere on the Island. Then you could go to Saltspring Island for a night from Swartz Bay and when you leave go to Crofton on your way up Island or in reverse if Victoria is the last stop. I didn't explain that well so here's a link to BC Ferries map of the southern Gulf Islands:

http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/southern/

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sidney or Victoria

Thanks for advice. I am however having difficulty getting accommodation in Victoria inner harbour due to long weekend so might have to go for Sidney. We are staying for 7 nights total on the Island so hope to see lots in that time. Next time I'll try to get accommodation much earlier!

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sidney or Victoria

Well Sidney has maybe 5 hotels, where Victoria has about a hundred. I'd still stay in Victoria somewhere closer to downtown than Sidney. Inner Harbour is best, but there are other hotels not too far away.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sidney or Victoria

I allways suggest inner harbour first.I would noy stay in one of the hotels just outside the harbour but I would go to Sidney.Sidney doesnt have near the activities of the inner harbour but is a nice quiet little town to stay in.Those are my experiances as I have stayed in aprox 20 hotels in the inner harbour and 2 in Sidney and 3 outside of the harbour as I visit Victoria alot for work

chicago
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sidney or Victoria

Sidney vs Victoria to stay? The Sidney Pier Hotel is very reasonable in cost with high ratings. At least per the net, it looks brand new too. To achieve the same ratings, a hotel in DT Victoria would be at least $100 more per night. We haven't stayed there yet, and will report on return, but it is worth the difference for us to travel the extra 20-30 min. It just isn't that far (relative to what we are used to!) Tried Priceline for Victoria, but no luck (yet).

Various
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sidney or Victoria

For future visitors, Saltspring has a great market on Saturday in the summer. For the sailors out there, the anchorage is excellent. Great holding, protected, loads of space.

7. Re: Sidney or Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Sidney
More Sidney Topics