We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Fly-Drive route into Revelstoke

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best Fly-Drive route into Revelstoke

We are planning a trip to Revelstoke for early March...flying to either Kelowna or Kamloops and then renting a 4x4 to drive from airport to Revelstoke. Which drive (from Kelowna or Kamloops) would be most recommended based on typical road conditions at this time, and how long a drive should we anticipate? Thx.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Fly-Drive route into Revelstoke

A direct flight to Calgary would be easier from Montreal. Then a 5-1/2 hour drive versus 2-1/2 from Kamloops or 3 hours from Kelowna, but no connecting flights.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,359 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Fly-Drive route into Revelstoke

Revelstoke has an airport.

But, based on your question, I would be inclined to go with Highway 1 from Kamloops.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
15,659 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Fly-Drive route into Revelstoke

hi

Some suggestions if you want to save some money

Your flight costs and arrival times available via Calgary will be way better than anything you will get to go to Kamloops. If you go to Calgary you get a head start on your driving to Revelstoke.

Looking at an example on Westjet you have to spend the whole day in Calgary before your Kamloops flight. did not check AC

with the money you save not flying to Kamloops ($150 /person on Westjet) you can stay one nite in Banff which would break down the drive to Revelstoke.

A 4x4 is not really required unless you want to go off road.

- a front wheel drive car with full winter tires will get you better mileage and get you there safely and will have more choices on size/price of vehicles

If you are going skiing; the car rental co have ski racks as an option.

I checked the Budget site; a small SUV is listed at $420; a standards size car at $250 + $80 for ski rack.

to put things in perspective - I would never think of flying to Quebec City if I am flying in from Calgary/Vancouver - I would fly in to Montreal and drive to QC. The air service you would get from Kamloops is similar to what you get out of QC.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Fly-Drive route into Revelstoke

Both routes from either Kamloops or Kelowna to Revelstoke are good. Kelowna airport is closer as it is located at the north end of town while the Kamloops airport is located northwest of town. I have travelled all the routes that have been mentioned many times, summer and winter.

In my humble opinion the travelling from either Kamloops or Kelowna would be your better choice. Reason: the route from Calgary to Revelstoke goes through some tough terrain, slow driving especially in winter and accidents do occur, two weeks ago the highway was shut down for 8 or 9 hours due to a horrific accident. The area around Rogers Pass can be shut down due to avalanche control at any time through winter as we are having right now. The Kel/Kam to Revel routes are seldom shut down and the driving is more forgiving.

Use the following website to get an idea of highway conditions over the next week or so to give yourself an idea of how it is. The webcameras are set up at critical highway locations.

drivebc.ca/…5

The benefit of travelling from Calgary is that you will be driving by three other good resorts and if you want to stop for a day you would have that option. Kelowna and Kamloops do have world class resorts as well but there is nothing between the cities and Revelstoke.

Hope that helps, enjoy your ski trip :0)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Fly-Drive route into Revelstoke

Thx...this is what I needed to know. We want to minimize the driving since we know from past experience that weather/highway conditions can easily double the listed drive times...not to mention being stressful and tiring!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Fly-Drive route into Revelstoke

fly to Calgary then drive from there...weather has been so so, think roads are Ok but check before you head out

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Fly-Drive route into Revelstoke

Dang...forget Calgary...4:30 drive time...go with Kelowna or Kamloops...here is the BC MOT web site for drive times as road conditions....i hear Revi is a killer resort...so jealous

…gov.bc.ca/popular-topics/…calculator.asp

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
631 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Fly-Drive route into Revelstoke

Go to Kelowna you can never trust that the Rogers Pass will be open rarely does the highway west of Revelstoke close. You get better flights into Kelowna than Kamloops. You won't need a 4x4 I drive it all the time in a small car with winter tires.

9. Re: Best Fly-Drive route into Revelstoke

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2013, 10:18