We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Scamming in Revelstoke

Which Revelstoke hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
712 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Scamming in Revelstoke

I have been trying to get a short term- 2 month rental in Revy for some time. I have had close encounters but no luck.

The first rental house was an expensive vacation rental, and the only one that was legit but when we tried to pick up a couple, No, they didn't agree with that.

The next two happened in one week: I responded to these ads on the site thestoke.ca

The next supposed owner gave a false address. When I googled the address, it turned out to a BnB. I emailed the BnB owner and talked to her. She had no suite advertised. I emailed the guy back to tell him he made an error in the address. Never heard from him again.

Next apartment looked good but after some emails, he wouldn't give a phone number or allow us to see the apartment until a deposit was made.

I have a tough time believing that there is this much scamming going on in Revelstoke; in ONE week. One website warns you not to send money until you know the rental property. I haven't lost any money but wasted a lot of time and wonder if I should get in touch with the RCMP to let them know this is happening?

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Scamming in Revelstoke

"I have a tough time believing that there is this much scamming going on in Revelstoke"

I know Revelstoke from the 70's when it was called 'Revelstone' (for obvious reasons) so it's no surprise if some of the old crooks are still around still being crooked.

Congratulations on protecting yourself and Thanks for letting people know but I doubt the police will become involved until someone actually loses money.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,231 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Scamming in Revelstoke

Hi Venusalberta33 ~

One reliable source for vacation rentals is vrbo.com You might give that one a try. Other ads online, on public forums, cannot be verified. The host newspaper or website doesn't check out the person who is paying to place the ad. It's buyer beware and any time it doesn't sound good is time to walk away. I think wherever there is money to be made is where scams and fraud will be found. In winter, that would be ski resorts. Just read about one in Whistler where someone in a distant country is advertising a condo at Whistler on Craigslist that is managed by a property management company. Best to use a reliable property management company. And as you are on the Revelstoke Forum, the locals may be able to advise you on that.

It might be worth a call to the RCMP to see what they will tell you. Here's a website run by the Canadian government about frauds and scams. There's a link to types of scams and then a further link to Vacations.

antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/english/…

Here's the vrbo.com website for Revy:

www.vrbo.com/search/keywords:revelstoke

Revelstoke
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Scamming in Revelstoke

The RCMP are aware of the scamming that is going on. Foreign people are posting on the stoke list and trying to get money out of people for rental properties that do not exist. The RCMP cannot really do anything because the scam originates in another country. If is sounds sketchy then walk away.

4. Re: Rental Scamming in Revelstoke

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 09:16