We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Parks pass question

Which Revelstoke hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
National Parks pass question

Hi. We are travelling from the UK to western Canada in August, and on one day are planning on driving from Revelstoke to Canmore where we will be staying for 3 nights and exploring the area. I have read that for the parks pass Banff/Yoho/Kootenay/Jasper all count as one, but if we are planning on stopping in Mt Revelstoke national park do we need to buy a separate pass for that park, or is one pass good for all? As we are only in the parks for 4 days I don't think that the annual pass works for us.

Thanks.

Sarah

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,303 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Parks pass question

Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum ~

The information about Canada Parks passes can be found on the Banff Forum, in the Top Questions to the right of the page. Here is the link to that article. Doing the math, based on your plans, will tell you the best option. :-)

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154910-c13975/Banff-N…

Just a heads up to help you get oriented to this place called TA. The majority of information on Canada Parks will be found in the Canadian Rockies Forum. Which is here:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g659487-i11598-Cana…

When you get there, you will see, down the left side, the links to the individual forums in that region. All with their own set of Top Questions, as does the CRF itself.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,079 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National Parks pass question

You have two choices - the daily pass and the annual pass. Most advice is that the annual pass pays for itself after 7 days, but keep in mind that it is also good for national historic sites, and there are four of those around greater Vancouver, so if you plan to include those, then it starts to look like better value.

If you are driving from Revelstoke through to Canmore in one day and you opt not to stop in any of the national parks as you drive through, then you won't need a pass for that day. I'm pretty sure that the Revelstoke Pass would not be valid for Glacier, Yoho or Banff, but if it were me, I might try to convince the parks people that I had paid for that day and see if I could get away with it. I wouldn't try to stop in Banff or do anything other than a highway pull out on that day.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,164 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National Parks pass question

I don't think you ever have to buy two passes for different parks for one day, so you would not have to buy one for Mt. Revelstoke/Glacier and another for Banff, on the same day.

Also, if you were driving from the town of Revelstoke through to Canmore, and not planning to stop in any of the parks on that day, you would not need to buy a pass at all. Highway 1, the Trans-Canada, is a "through highway" and you don't need a park pass to use it. However, #93N, the Icefields Parkway is not considered a through-highway, but a park facility, so you do need to have a pass to drive it.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: National Parks pass question

It's not a matter of getting away with it, national park permits are interchangeable. At least within the region. The permit from Revelstoke is valid in Glacier, and even Banff/Jasper I believe.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,522 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National Parks pass question

and, the permit is good until 4 pm the next day so if you return to Canmore before that time you may only need 3 days.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,079 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National Parks pass question

Bingo. I was misinformed. Thanks for clarifying.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: National Parks pass question

Thanks for all the help everyone, much appreciated!

8. Re: National Parks pass question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2015, 04:17