We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Blaine, Washington (Birch Bay) & Whistler 1 wk each

Henderson, NV
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Blaine, Washington (Birch Bay) & Whistler 1 wk each

Hi, I am a senior, so cost enters in my plans. Flight from Las Vegas

now cost double to land in Vancouver than Seattle. Blaine is closer to Vancouver that I can see on the map. I need to rent a car for seeing both sides of the border places, I think I can go to and get to North Vancouver and Vancouver, Victoria etc. without a car?

Please advise my best choices as I do not want to be penny foolish

Thank you

Marilyn

5 replies to this topic
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,657 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Blaine, Washington (Birch Bay) & Whistler 1 wk each

You've posted in the Port Alberni forum-something of a backwater.

In any case it's unclear why you want to spend a week around Blaine-are you visiting family?

It's easy enough to catch Amtrak to Vancouver from Bellingham and then Yes once here you won't need a car at all.

http://www.airporter.com/shuttle/

Henderson, NV
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Blaine, Washington (Birch Bay) & Whistler 1 wk each

I am staying in Birch Bay Time Sharer, and intend to see Washington and BC

from here. This is a popular water resort I was told and would give me a home base with a car. I think I need a car here, but not my week in Whistler.

I really would love to fly into Vancouver and stay 4 days and then rent a car to

go to Birch Bay, and then turn it in either in Whistler or Vancouver depending on cost. I been on the internet all day looking for ways to allow me to see more on this trip. Here, theyrecommend the YWCA hotel, is this a safe location in Vancouver an old lady question LOL.

Sorry about wrong posting area, but this was my 1st time, and thanks for answering me.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,657 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Blaine, Washington (Birch Bay) & Whistler 1 wk each

Yes the Y is safe and an ideal location-what about a cheap flight into Seattle and taking Amtrak north?

Birch Bay is a lovely area but I don't know it at all-Sorry.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,702 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Blaine, Washington (Birch Bay) & Whistler 1 wk each

Closest airport to Birch Bay is Bellingham. You can rent a car at Bellingham to see BB and return the car to Bellingham airport (say 15 miles away). Then take a train or bus from Bellingham to Vancouver and Whistler. You can return home from either Vancouver airport or bus to Bellingham and Bellingham airport home. If you can justify the border wait and parking costs then fly in and out of Bellingham and keep the rental for your entire stay. That's what I would do.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,872 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Blaine, Washington (Birch Bay) & Whistler 1 wk each

Birch Bay is lovely, but very quiet and hurting a bit. Lots of holiday condos along the beach front, but not much in the way of restaurants or groceries. You have to drive back up to the I5 for provisions. I do however, find it a convenient base for getting down to Seattle and other destinations in the area.

Border delays can be significant, and so I don't know that you will find Birch Bay a convenient place from which to see much of BC. It would probably be easier to drive down to Vancouver from Whistler than deal with the border hassles, although try it and see how it goes. I've been caught in enough lengthy border waits that it really puts me off going over the line.

Reply to: Trip to Blaine, Washington (Birch Bay) & Whistler 1 wk each
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Alberni